Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

One shot switch using flip flop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obmar

Hi everyone,
I am trying to control pneumatic cylinder valves using a push button switch. The cylider has limit switches on both ends of stroke. On pressing the push button, the cylinder has to extend and on signal from end limit change over to reversed solenoid so as to return to original position (where first limit switch gets pressed). As the strting and end conditions are same, pressing push button often results in multiple strokes. I am thinking of using an electronic latch using 4027 JK Flip Flop. But reading through the data sheet, I cannot figure out how (and why) the clock to be used. Can I use this JK Flip Flop without clock input?

By the way, I have tried RS latch with two NOR gates, but cannot avoid 1,1 input status that is not allowed.

Thanks.

Your only chance to use a JK flip-flop without a clock is if they have asyncronous preset and clear. In that case tie J, K and clock high.

in school they teach us the usefulness of the jk flip flop. however, the clock was never introduced. what is it for? to make sure inputs Q and Q' are triggered simultaneously?

in school they teach us the usefulness of the jk flip flop. however, the clock was never introduced. what is it for? to make sure inputs Q and Q' are triggered simultaneously?
In typical operation the J and K inputs are changed between clock pulses and then the FF changes output state (both Q and Q' change at the same time) with the clock. This allows the logic states to properly propagate in a logic system, avoiding a "race" condition.

Your problem may be better resolved by either using a debounce circuit (google) or a 555 connected as a one-shot to give only one pulse per button push.

Last edited:
You have not explained the problem nearly clearly enough.
Why does the push button result in multiple strokes?

What voltage is on the switch?
Does the switch take the circuit HIGH or LOW?

Last edited:
You have not explained the problem nearly clearly enough.
Why does the push button result in multiple strokes?

Most likely switch bounce. BTW, this thread was started about 4 years ago...

Dang. Suckered again. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back