Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

One Logitech X230 stereo speaker not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

A212

I recently acquired a Logitech X230 speaker set, with subwoofer and stereo speakers from a friend, but was dismayed to learn that the left speaker is non-operational. The other one and the subwoofer work fine. Im a complete noob to sound/speakers, so I decided to open it up and look for broken solder, but found nothing to note. Does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong, possible fixes etc?

Thanks

At the start of debugging, you have to assume everything is wrong/defective. One by one you break it down and prove what is working, and you'll arrive at the fault. Often it is expedient to begin looking for the easy-to-find problems like you did: broken solder joint, blown fuses, etc.

Likely candidates include burnt-out speaker coil, bad connector, or blown left side amplifier. Capacitors and semiconductors most likely.
Having every possible problem to choose from, no sane person could suggest a fix.

If you have the ability to measure voltages, take clear photographs or better yet take 'scope captures and have a schematic to post, somebody might be able to help narrow down the problem.
If not then I'm afraid your friend just tricked you into throwing out /recycling his old junk :) .

One thing I like about audio debugging (for stereo equipment) is that when you have one bad channel, you have one good channel. That means you can compare the differences between both channels (signal levels, voltages, etc.) and often narrow-down the problem.

Another likely candidate is something very simple, like a fractured wire or a faulty connector.

spec

Have you swapped the speakers over ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back