Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ok, I just dont get it-FINAL PROJECT !!!???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkim100

Banned
OK, Im not very bright...but I need clarification.
What is up with all of the posts on here for "Final School Projects".
Now, take into consideration, I took Electronics in High School in the 70's, and our final projects were to build AM/FM Radios. OK, nor exactly a sexy project that will get you into bed with any Cheerleaders (except maybe the ugly ones), but we had to design it from scratch, make and etch the circuit board, order all the parts, and build a case for it.
Now it seems that these guys, that have completed a complete electronics course, up to the point of building a final project, cannot even tell what the hell a SPST switch is...or where to find a SCR, but they choose to build something almost impossible (unless you have all of the design departments of Rockwell at your fingertips)...such as a Diamond Detector , or a Self-Navigating Chariot (!!??!!!!??!!!!????). I mean, not even something normal, or even remotely useful thats self navigating, like a car, bike, dog, wife, or Postman...but something as bizarre a a BLOODY CHARIOT!
As well, they seem absolutely oblivious to the powers of Google to find a huge number of basic schematics that can be adapted to practically any use. A good example is someone pleading for a circuit to fade a LED on/off. A quick search of Google turned up literally hundreds of schematics, from simple transistor based units, to ones using several ic's.
Who in heavens name is teaching these guys...Squeaky Fromme ???!!!:D
....Holy Cow!

Last edited:
Could be that in an effort to make money schools in developing countries are offering what they sell as electronics classes. They are easy to get a bunch of students and neither the students or their parents have a clue.

I do not know. But the chariot bit might just be a translator speaking. Or it might be their way of say "two-wheeled vehicle". Or something like that. Either way, it's an exercise in odometry.

THe one I remember best is the bipedal walking robot...with two arms...that had to carry a load...that had to control the arm on it's own...and have the intelligence to decide if something was graspable and liftable and the best way to go about it...

NOw, I could be wrong, but I think that a team of multi-disciplinary PhD students and PhDs with funding behind them would take at least a couple years and encounter at least a fair amount of difficulty trying to pull this off, if they could pull it off at all. Let alone a group of several 3rd/4rth year EE students within a single semester.

Last edited:
1. The Ghost Detector is my current favorite.
2. Any thread that begins with URGENT (these are always clueless students with almost due assignments)
3. The crane thread.
4. Any 2000W UPS is a popular (also cheaper just to buy one).
5. A traffic light, can you really get a degree with a simple traffic light?
6. GSM remote control lock, strangely a popular 3rd world project.
7. A maze following six legged servo controlled robot in 6 weeks for a contest! (Of course build by someone with no prior robotics experience)

All of these will ultimately end with an "EPIC FAIL"
**broken link removed**

WHich one was the crane thread? I find many people come here asking about arms when they should be using a crane.

Lol. Hero999 is COLD. THe OP in that thread really does't seem to read replies at all, or he doesn't understand what is being said.

It was a crane for crying out loud, a simple crane and he was baffled.
I should have shown him this from the Meccano Giant Block Setting Crane
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Is there something else in the photo for size comparisons?
If I remember correctly, the hole pitch on the punched strips is half inch, (12.7mm).

JimB

Is there something else in the photo for size comparisons?

it looks like a 'AA' battery size.

The strangest project IMO was the robot 'nurse table' it was called by voice and it was supposed to carry out medical checks on the patient.

Its a compensation Lawers dream come true.!!:eek:

it looks like a 'AA' battery size.

The strangest project IMO was the robot 'nurse table' it was called by voice and it was supposed to carry out medical checks on the patient.

Its a compensation Lawers dream come true.!!:eek:

Did the robot have a warning system for missing thermometer? :D

Oh yea, robots.

I had to repair a pediatric device that atached to a persons reconstructed knee and gently bent it open and closed. The fault was it didn't stop closing. Ouch!. What's worse, my boss caused the fault by solder bridging two terminals on the position sensing potentiometer. Robots?

Or the remote detonator projects, one was for the Nigerian Navy (using Bluetooth) the other for a fellow in Gaza (He even posted a photo of the Hamas leader as his profile picture).

OMG! I am so with you guys on this. I know I am a Newb myself, but I check this forum probably 15 times a day and nothing annoys me more than

"Sir may you to please assistance myself with 8th year degree project due in ten minutes. I have to build a working automobile powered electrically and rechargable via bluetooth. I have no idea where to start....and please to explain what a capacitor is."

LMAO! Come on people, I learned Electronics in the Navy and later earned my degree in electronics. I only have a 2 year degree and I know more than some of these graduate students.

Anyway, I love this forum, you are all really helpful and I can't wait to start learning microcontrollers....my next step!:D

I dislike when someone begs for advice and repeatedly ignores advice based on years of experience. He just goes on another tangent; insists that you explain his next random thought and never considers reading a book or using Google.

I dislike when someone begs for advice and repeatedly ignores advice based on years of experience. He just goes on another tangent; insists that you explain his next random thought and never considers reading a book or using Google.

You've just described half the members here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back