Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ok, I just dont get it-FINAL PROJECT !!!???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure would be nice if there were a separate forum called "Student Projects" where students could post their project questions. It should have some sticky posts with a list of posting guidelines, general help, useful links, and how to search the Internet for information. Student project questions posted anywhere else should be moved there.

It's like linux if you want to use it you have to learn it. And learning about electronic don't happen over night it take's a a lot of reading because most teachers don't no what there telling you. And I can't tell you how many book's I have read but most of them show you how to do it wrong. Telling how to use google would be good but then you have to tell them what to type. But tell me one thing how did you learn what you know.
I bet it's like me A lot of long hours not much sleep and O yes hard work.

The teachers today who do not teach anything ask the students to copy a circuit then make it. They are just learning how to solder wires together. Nothing is learned about electronics.

I dislike when someone begs for advice and repeatedly ignores advice based on years of experience. He just goes on another tangent; insists that you explain his next random thought and never considers reading a book or using Google.

advice sought might be to steer a person, not that he would just follow in the same form.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave studying because by the time I was in grade 9 i had already taught myself more electronics most guys i know with degrees. college was a waste of money for me, the lecturers never knew what they were talking about half the time. the sad disadvantage is that i struggle to get a decent job. preference is given to graduates:confused: damn graduates:mad:. 3 year degree and still dont know what threshold and trigger pins do on a 555 timer.

I gave studying because by the time I was in grade 9 i had already taught myself more electronics most guys i know with degrees. college was a waste of money for me, the lecturers never knew what they were talking about half the time. the sad disadvantage is that i struggle to get a decent job. preference is given to graduates:confused: damn graduates:mad:. 3 year degree and still dont know what threshold and trigger pins do on a 555 timer.

I wonder what sort of graduates you have met. U of Mail_My_Diploma?

I doubt many grads know about 555 chips as they are frowned upon in the industry, so they are not discussed at length in school. Designers use more reliable methods for serious designs.
They are fine to blink leds and such.

I wonder what sort of graduates you have met. U of Mail_My_Diploma?

I doubt many grads know about 555 chips as they are frowned upon in the industry, so they are not discussed at length in school. Designers use more reliable methods for serious designs.
They are fine to blink leds and such.

I would hope any graduate would know about 555's, they are a very useful chip for all kinds of purposes, and often used in industry and domestic products. Perfectly reliable chip for a great many purposes.

I would also hope they knew all about them long before they got as far as Uni, what kind of Electronics student gets as far as Uni never having used (or heard of) a 555? (a completely useless one?).

Like I said, I doubt they are discussed in schools at length. Maybe one lecture at most.

A 555 is of little use in any critical piece of gear where timing is important. It is unreliable due to the fact that it is analog and drifts over temp.

I suppose it is fine for use in something like a Furbee, but not for much more than that. Unless you work for a toy company I don't see the use of 555 chips being used often.

Then again, I have only worked at Govt Contractor work and Telecom companies. Maybe things are not as strict in other sectors.

Last edited:

Knowledge is one part, and for selection from a large applicant list, there has to be some criteria. here academic education gives a stamped certificate, that becomes essential. It is SAD that modern day engineers are not knowing that minimum that a person of nominal education equips himself out of his interest.

as pointed by Audioguru, even the teachers / lecturers have been so. I only feel that today's teacher is y-day's student. might be little (much little in fact) difference. As such, if a student outsmarts the teacher be asking all sorts of doubts, many a time the teacher becomes impatient and develops a sort of grudge.

The other side of it, people are more happy with IT jobs so, they coolly neglect the electronics and enjoy. Once the certificate comes and campus selection takes place they prefer IT job and it is the head ache of the firms that selects him to train him to suit their needs.

the above factor makes learning non-essential, as they view it.

Last edited:
It is important to find a good school. Better to find the best for the money. Also schools can change over time, it pays to check it out yourself.

What sort of a degree did you get in three years. Does it qualify you for a tech or engineering level job?

3v0

A 555 is of little use in any critical piece of gear where timing is important. It is unreliable due to the fact that it is analog and drifts over temp.

You've suddenly changed to 'critical piece of gear' and 'where timing is important' - so for the other 99% of applications they are perfectly fine :D

The vast majority of timing applications aren't critical, and an analogue solution is perfectly fine (and the world functioned perfectly well long before crystal controlled digital circuits arrived).

An example of use I've actually seen in a TV is to detect if the frame sync is 50Hz or 60Hz, and switch the circuit accordingly - no need whatsoever for crystal accuracy, and a 555 is just as good as anything expensive you could design.

I would expect any graduate to know about 555's and be familiar with their functioning - just as I would expect a trained car mechanic to know what a wheel is :p

My brother has a 3 year degree in computer science I went 18 months vocational school To learn computer repair. I was up his house and he had put a DVD drive in his computer he hold me it didn't work so i ask if could look a it he had turned the ide controller off in the bios I ask him way he do that and he said He was installing the driver He doesn't no hardware from OS.

Your brother did not study how to setup, build or repair PC's, He should have been learning how to program computers in an informed way. He should have taken a class in operating systems and should understand where the hardware and software meet.

So is the problem with your brother or the school?

Some of the people in his class may have picked up this info along the way but it is not what they studied!

It has me thinking about what is missing in a 3 year vrs a 4 year computer science program.

3v0

My brother has a 3 year degree in computer science I went 18 months vocational school To learn computer repair. I was up his house and he had put a DVD drive in his computer he hold me it didn't work so i ask if could look a it he had turned the ide controller off in the bios I ask him way he do that and he said He was installing the driver He doesn't no hardware from OS.

Last edited:
Here what is wrong if you want to do some thing. You start at step A go to step B then to step C. You see what A and B did to get to C. I like C Can't you just give me C that's all I need:rolleyes:
And that what's wrong. I like it when some one tell's me what I did wrong with A and B so that in the end I can get C all by myself.

Here what is wrong if you want to do some thing. You start at step A go to step B then to step C. You see what A and B did to get to C. I like C Can't you just give me C that's all I need:rolleyes:

That is exactly what is 'wrong' with most self-taught learners. If understanding of A and B are fundamental to C, then without learning A and B well, C is never really understood. If the learner skips over A and B ...

And that what's wrong. I like it when some one tell's me what I did wrong with A and B so that in the end I can get C all by myself.

That is a much better stance; and quite different from your first sentence! Other people may learn differently, too.

Now if A was, say for example, English, which is fundamental to communicating, I think many people gloss over learning A well, thus don't know the difference between no and know, for example. :D

It seems as though many of today's learners are just like your first sentence; they don't want to know, they just want the degree. I think industry supports this. Don't companies hire, then totally train the new hire to their own methods and ideologies?

No worries, though, as a paradigm shift has to happen; things are not working the way we are doing them... (economic crisis, indeed!)

I would hope any graduate would know about 555's, they are a very useful chip for all kinds of purposes, and often used in industry and domestic products. Perfectly reliable chip for a great many purposes.

I would also hope they knew all about them long before they got as far as Uni, what kind of Electronics student gets as far as Uni never having used (or heard of) a 555? (a completely useless one?).

I have to agree with this, and I think anyone who understands electronics should understand a 555, which is just a simple integrated circuit, made of a few transistors ... not too tough to do an analysis to understand how they work

And they do, still show up in many commercial designs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back