Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Odd LED question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDubya

I'm trying to put water-clear LED's inside of a ping-pong ball to create little balls of light. Unfortunately the clear RGB LED's I got don't diffuse as much as I'd like. Any tips to maybe etch the surface of the LED's epoxy lens consistently to turn a clear LED to a more opaque dispursement? I'd just order replacements, but the RGB leds I got aren't exactly cheap.

Thanks in advance!!!

This maybe a silly suggestion. Try wetting the end and dipping it into some small crystals. Sugar may work, as I believe it is clear but appears white the same way as crushed ice looks white i.e. lots of internal reflection. A further thought, as no one can touch it, ground glass may work. I'd try it with a cheap red LED first.

Mike.

Maybe try using a fine grain sand paper to roughen the surface (like the type used to tweak plastic models)? That is the first thing that comes to my mind, but if they aren't usable afterwards, please don't come running to me lol.

How fine? I tried some steel wool and it didn't really do much of anything but scuff the lens - the dispursement didn't change that much :(. I like the sugar/salt idea. I might try some superglue and salt. Great idea!

Grind of its lens so the top of the LED is flat then it will have like a 120 agnle.

You can also get the flat LEDs that have 4 pins they spread the light very far a aprt very bright too.2 of then and the whole ball sould light up.

Last time I tried grinding off the end of a T 1 1/2 Led to get a flat faced one, all I ended up with was a LED that gave light as a tiny point. Many flat faced LED either have a fresnel type lens or the plastic body is a semi-opaque material that diffuses the light.

I like the idea of using crystals or something similar to diffract the light. What if you tried aiming the light into the edge of the ping pong ball material, and let the plastic ball act as a light guide. I have no idea if this would work or not, just throwing out suggestions.

I use a very fine (240 grit) sandpaper. Have done it many times with good results for increasing viewing angle of water-clear LEDs. Try it on one and see if it works out for you.

The most difusing LED would be if you carve a V shape insted of its lens.Meaby this if posible my putting the LED in a vice and using a tabletop drill.Then the led would be basicly 180 degre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back