Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NTSC to PAL CONVERTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesim

Anyone know how to make a NTSC to PAL CONVERTER because some of them are ridiculously overpriced

thesim said:
Anyone know how to make a NTSC to PAL CONVERTER because some of them are ridiculously overpriced

It depends entirely what you mean, do you mean to convert NTSC 525 to PAL 625, which is standards conversion - not just NTSC to PAL.

To do that you've got to digitise every line in each picture, convert the length of each line, and read out 25 pictures a second for 30 pictures a second being written into the memory. It's not a trivial task, which is why they are not cheap. There have been a number of VCR's available at various times, the Panasonic World VCR was the first, which will do this, other cheaper ones (but still pretty pricey) have been available since (I don't know if they still are though).

If you just mean NTSC 625 to PAL 625, it's pretty easy - use an NTSC decoder chip to give RGB, then an RGB encoder chip to convert the RGB to PAL.

Sebi said:
This converter works only with 60Hz PAL TV...

Yes, it only converts the NTSC signal to a PAL one, so it will produce a 525 line, 60Hz PAL signal. As I mentioned above, you could do this with an NTSC decoder chip (producing RGB), then an RGB to PAL encoder chip (as used in computer games). But the price for the one listed didn't look excessive!. Most fairly modern 625/50 TV's will work quite happily at 525/60 - it's only the old ones which won't.

For 'thesim' - what are you actually wanting it for?, if it's a games console it will probably already have RGB outputs (which give vastly - and I mean VASTLY!, superior pictures) - these are independent of NTSC or PAL, if your TV has RGB inputs it will work without any modifications needed.

my tv is a recent tv but doesnt have rgb input and im converting the signal from a dvd player. Could you tell me if these parts are available in Australia and if theres any specific ways of hooking it all up?

thesim said:
my tv is a recent tv but doesnt have rgb input and im converting the signal from a dvd player. Could you tell me if these parts are available in Australia and if theres any specific ways of hooking it all up?

I've no idea what's available in Australia, I'm too far away :lol:

I'm presuming you've tried it on your TV?, and it didn't work - most modern TV's will accept the NTSC signal from a DVD player.

Second point, most DVD players have a menu option to select NTSC or PAL output - don't forget, there's no NTSC or PAL recorded on the disc, the DVD player generates it internally.

If not, buy another DVD player that allows this, most cheap ones do, it's usually only the expensive low specification ones (like Sony) which don't.

How do i play my australian dvds which r multi region

OK im in Norway on exchange and i cant my Dvds to work on my host family PAL tv there DVD accepts NTCS all region disc and 2 i get this fuzzy image can is all i need a TV Video System Converter NTSC to PAL or PAL to NTSC my dvd are all ntsc so im thinkin i need to converter which is NTSC to PAL right to make the tv play my NTSC **** right ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back