Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noobs Gone Wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
So, these noobs come on here, armed with information they gurggled from the web, and they try to pass for "research", then proceede to tell folks with a degree and 20 years experience in the field that they don't know what their talking about. And then when you try to keep them from embarassing thierselves, they whine to the mods.

Good grief man, gimme a break! Do they want to drive away the experienced people? Who's going to answer questions then?

So what brought up this issue?
Tell us about it.
We like to listen to people complain about life.;)

Who or what brought up this issue for you? Besides newbies.:confused:

We had a long thread about Ohm's Law. There is an amazing amount of misconception about this! Lots of disagreement about what exactly is and isn't Ohm's Law, where it is and is not applicable, etc. Lots of bad information on the web. Many people think if it's on the web, then it's gospel! So this noob gurrgles it and then pretends to be an expert, and won't listen to anyone, just keeps repeating the same false info over and over. I finally told him he can think anything he wants, I'm just trying to save him from embarassing himself. That makes him so mad, that he whines to the mods, and gets them on my case.

On one hand, I can understand why noobs get confused; Ohm's law seemingly breaks down when one tries to apply it to things like diodes. Then they try to find answers on the internet, but so many of the internet authors are as confused as anyone. But good grief man, we have people on this site who have spent their lifetime studying physical devices and physical quantities. Better they listen to knowledgable people than act like they know better, don't you think?

Last edited:
Ya I wasn't sure if BrownOut was referring to himself about noobs :D

Interesting idea, a noob complaining about noob's :D

Really? You believe I started my career in Electrical Engineering the moment I joined this site? I'll put my fancy store-bought degree and decades of field experience against anyone's.

I dont speak for everyone but I see a lot of that here. I also see many who ignore the concept of something and nit pick the potential rules, laws and practical applications of home made devices. I feel this is a electronics and electronics related forum not a political rules and regulations forum.;)
If I can inform someone how to fix or build something they were curious about I will. I dont care if there is a local law that says you cant use it, Thats not my problem or concern.;)
There are people that dont know and then there are people that feel they know it all. The no nothings will at least listen to new ideas or possible ways of doing something. The know it all seem to give off the impression that since they tried it or at least read about someone that tried it and failed therefor its impossible. And since they feel its impossible no one should ever attempt to try it either.:mad:

Same goes with common sense safety issues. If you messing around with it you likely already know the hazards and possible dangers associated with it and know you are the only one who is ultimately responsible for yourself!;)
Since I have joined this forum I have seen many new people with simple questions about how to fix or design something get completely run down by the rules and regulations Nazis. There is a thread or two that pops up every month or so relating to someone or a few wanting a whole area of the forum erased or deleted just because the feel the information is not relevant. AE has it this month.

That also applies to people that want to share a new way of doing something or just wanted to show how something they work with every day is not complex, hard to do, or expensive to build. Still they get ripped apart just for saying 'Hey theres a simpler, cheaper, easier, and more reliable way of doing it!' :mad:

My 20 cents. (2 cents adjusted for inflation and regulatory permits)

tmctech.. it's not just here, I see the same phenomia all over the web. In one forum after another, the nay-sayers seem to dominate. I for one, cheer innovators who make attempts to create something that makes life better, easier or more efficient. But for each person trying to innovate, there always seems to be mulitple persons trying to quash him down.

It's often the same way in industry. There have been countless times in my career that I show one of my coworkers something I'm working on, that the'll say, "That won't work" No helpful hits, no warnings about pitfalls or roadblocks, no offer of help of any kind, just a flat denial of the potential of success. Usually I go ahead and build it anyway then show them a working model. Then they sing a whole new tune.

Anyway, the reason I came to this site was to have the opportunity to discuss design and development of systems with people who might know a little more about real devices. Most of my career for the last 14 or 15 years has been developing digital logic in ASIC and FPGA technology. In that effort, I've become a master of software tools that simulate and synthesize my products. I also spend a fair amount of time writing programming code, as we deal in systems. It's been awhile since I held an actual transistor in my hand and tried to make anything useful out of it, as I routinely did early on in my career. I'm getting back to basics, transistors, resistors, capacitors, etc. No c-code, no VHDL, no synthesis no timing analyzers.... So, I've dusted off the old Tektronix and joined the site. It's been people like you who gets dirty hands that makes this group a rich experience.

Last edited:
t
It's often the same way in industry. There have been countless times in my career that I show one of my coworkers something I'm working on, that the'll say, "That won't work"

My boss always said the effects are negligible. Ok, so you have 700v on start up and 2 big inductors with low voltage and a zero cross on the board ? duh! GAFC you big lurpie a-hole and what do you mean when you say negligible anyways ?

I wonder ? are you talking about your comments ? or are you addressing the minimal mithic effects ? How about negligence ......... works for me. "RANT" 2 yrs later they found that doing a better job cleaning water soluble flux off the board was a good Idea "Wow I'm so impressed", they finally got board washer. And up to that point he got to stroke his big fat ugly ego trying to diagnose a problem that only existed in his thick head. I really don't need an Engineering Degree to tell me I'm a freaking Village idiot. But what I really need is a sign warning us of a-holes like that. I don't think some people could have a pleasant disposition even if they put party hats on, carrying martinis. :p

I'm done."Rant"

Sorry.

Most of my career for the last 14 or 15 years has been developing digital logic in ASIC and FPGA technology. In that effort, I've become a master of software tools that simulate and synthesize my products.

We have a company here by the name Star bridge Systems. Truth is I'm not sure if there still doing business, this was the latest article and I tried their phone number no one answer's ? It's a good sign they took a dump. Have you heard of them.

Sorry again about the "RANTING"

Hypercomputers Are More Than Hype - Star Bridge Systems' HAL300GrW and IBM's Pacific Blue - Company Business and Marketing | Computer Technology Review | Find Articles at BNET

kv

Last edited:
The number one thing people can learn that would help this whole situation...

The difference between opinion, speculation, and fact.

The problem is people let they're childish emotions get in the way of knowing the differences.

Although I still think the number one thing you can know that will help you the most in life, is knowing what you don't know.

The number one thing people can learn that would help this whole situation...

The difference between opinion, speculation, and fact.

The problem is people let they're childish emotions get in the way of knowing the differences.

Although I still think the number one thing you can know that will help you the most in life, is knowing what you don't know.

Excellent I like it. So, when taking test's do you guess ?

I always seem to get the low scores not because I didn't know a little something. It's just not in me to take an educated guess. To me it's like cheating, either you know it or you don't. If you don't then learn it. On this site I don't know anything and will "Newbie-fied" forever. No top to the mountain and stretches farther than the eye can see.

kv:)

Last edited:
Well Killivolt, that's a pretty interesting article. I remember reading something about this years ago, but lost track of the progress that has been made in the meantime. Probably because I don't have $26 Million lying around... I did go to their website, and they seem to still be in business.

Guessing is a good thing, I think. I mean c'mon, in a discussion group, your guess might inspire a great idea in someone. Nobody knows everything, although some people seem to think they do. But sometimes, one person has insight into one aspect of an issue, another person has insight into yet another, and pretty soon we get it all figured out. That's what's great about getting a large group of people involved. Personally, I can often give hints about how something should work in the general sense, then other's who have more specialized knowledge can fill in the details. It's a beautiful thing, man.

Last edited:
And then when you try to keep them from embarassing thierselves, they whine to the mods.
I don't think it's them whining to the mods.

This is just my opinion, so ban me if you want Electromaster, apart from this I think to do a great job of administering this site. I understand that it isn't easy to moderate a forum and there is a fine line between freedom of expression and slander. I just think that sometimes mistakes are made.

I think the administrator is a little to politically correct in my view.

I have received two infractions for "insulting other members", the first I can identify with, the second I can't.

Here's the original quote.
Posting articles that you blatantly don't understand does not help your cause, it doesn't make you look clever, it just makes you look ignorant and foolish.
The whole post was removed so I reposted and reworded the offending part.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/stanley-meyers-and-zero-point-energy.42388/#post348856

I could handle this, I accepted that this remark might be taken as being offensive.

I did not accept the infraction for this though:

Original quote
I often enjoy responding to these sorts of threads. I feel that I am doing good by educatiog someone who is ignorant.
Cleaned up version.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/stanley-meyers-and-zero-point-energy.42388/#post349752

I received a private message from the administrator saying was on a 2 day ban but this didn't happen: I was not banned.

Had I been banned for two days, I would have left the forum, apart from making one more post explaining why I was leaving.

What really annoyed me was that there were far worse offenders who posted in the same thread; I'm not going to single out any posters but read the thread for yourself and make your own mind up. I've also made far worse comments before without receiving infractions.

The whole infraction procedure, is a total mess because it's so inconsistently applied: one minute someone gets away with posing something fairly harsh, then the next someone has a severe penalty imposed for saying something fairly inoffensive.

At least this time, if I disappear in the next day or so then you'll all know why I've gone.

Last edited:
I believe in ignorance. But, I don't believe in Stupidity.

On one hand you didn't know. But, the other your just crazy.

kv:)

Edit: I think "Stupidity" should be grafted into the Definition of Insanity.

Last edited:
Really? You believe I started my career in Electrical Engineering the moment I joined this site? I'll put my fancy store-bought degree and decades of field experience against anyone's.

You're a noob here, and that's presumably what you're referring to? - unless you have personal information about every single poster here.

I believe in ignorance. But, I don't believe in Stupidity.
That's exactly what I said to the administrator.

I'm ignorant about lots of things but that doesn't make me stupid.

Last edited:
I have a big issue with people being offended by things. It always reminds me of what they say, which goes to show how "offense" is handled.

"I take offense to that."

It doesn't matter if you even meant it offensively or not. And since that's the case, the "offender" really has very little control over it compared with the "receiver".

I do not give offense, nor take it. It is all a moot point to me, as it's just someones perception of another's emotion.

It's a speculation on an opinion.

At least this time, if I disappear in the next day or so then you'll all know why I've gone.

Hope not, you're one of the few on here who actually know what he's talking about ;)

Glad to know I'm not the only one. If there was some way for user review ( like at KOS ) I would support those who honestly try to give quality help and advise.

You're a noob here, and that's presumably what you're referring to? - unless you have personal information about every single poster here.

You presume too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back