Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

**Noobalert** Aaron Chaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
i can see you are still having a lot of trouble with this, forget about the 4011 for a moment,just focus on the 4017, disconnect whatever you have on pin 14 and connect a wire from it and tap that wire to the positive end of your battery if a led lights tap it again, another led should light. ....is that working..

i can see you are still having a lot of trouble with this, forget about the 4011 for a moment,just focus on the 4017, disconnect whatever you have on pin 14 and connect a 10k resistor from pin 14 to ground (0V)= the negative end of your battery

I thought I shorted it from the picture too, but I cleared that and still nothing. If the pot is incorrectly hooked up, should it be pulsing or not? What will the pulses look like on my multimeter? Who knows, maybe I have my multimeter set wrong. I have it set to read 10's of volts, should it be on another setting?

So here's what my pot looks like

(((|1 2
0=| 3 4
(((| 5 6

So I have one connection going to 4, and another going to 2 or 6?
Does it matter which way it comes and goes or is it all the same?

That thing didn't work shane.'

Actually it may have, but the blue LED was really really dim (I have a 220 resistor on there, think I should change it to a different value?)

Thanks a lot for your help guys,

you have to have 1 resistor per LED otherwise they will be extremly dull or they may not even light up at all, so you definetly 1 per LED.

shaneshane1 said:
you have to have 1 resistor per LED otherwise they will be extremly dull or they may not even light up at all, so you definetly 1 per LED.
You don't even need a resistor with a 9V supply because the CD4017 can provide only about 12mA per output directly to an LED. You certainly don't need many resistors because the CD4017 light only one LED at a time.
Connect each LED to each output and directly to ground.
Use a resistor if the supply is 12V and 15V.

GermanMafia said:
If the pot is incorrectly hooked up, should it be pulsing or not? What will the pulses look like on my multimeter? Who knows, maybe I have my multimeter set wrong. I have it set to read 10's of volts, should it be on another setting?

If the pot is incorrect, you will get no pulse. The resistance is there for a purpose.

If you are using a digital multimeter, you will have a difficult time reading a pulse, unless the beat is very slow. This is where the old-fashioned analog (read needle-type) meter is superior. You can see the needle move back and forth, even quivering with a moderately fast cycle.

GM,

Here is a quick logic probe to can build in just a few minutes. Use it to test your circuit, especially the 4011.

Build it on the other half of your perf board, giving yourself plenty of room. Hook it to the battery as shown, and touch the end of the wire to pin 5 of the 4011. If the test LED glows steady, you have no pulse, or it is too fast to be seen. If the LED does not glow, you have a wiring problem. If it blinks, Halleleuia! You can also use it to test other parts of your circuit.

EDIT: A point of clarification: The tester and your circuit are to be powered from the same battery.

Attachments

• logicprobe.PNG
    logicprobe.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
No I have to pick up the 470 resistor and the transistor (that's that the npn is right?) A 1 meg resistor is the same as the 1000 ohm right?

Thanks a lot for that diagram, thanks a lot for the help.

No. There's quite a difference. A one meg is 1,000,000 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back