Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non Standard DIP Pin Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda ran into the same issue you had with a 24 pin 0.6 pitch DIP.
I solved it the "wrong way" first. Luckily I bought a dozen or so. Almost cheaper than 1.

I had to fit into an SMD socket, because I doubt DIP to SMT pads come in anything but machine pin. They are also scarce. This sort of socket does the opposite as what most people are doing, It mounts a DIP IC to a surface mount pad with a socket.

The IC would plug into the machine pin socket and the carrier socket would plug into the machined pin, but the ZIF would not plug into anything.

The method that worked:
I found an IC carrier socket, These sockets will accept a DIP and will stack end to end. i.e. They will plug into each other.

I was able to insert a pair of Titanium Tweezers that I had to keep the ZIF spread, but clamped and then twist each pin 90 degrees. Then the ZIF would plug into the carrier, but not the machine pin. So, ZIF+carrier socket+DIP to SMD machine pin socket worked.

I trashed the ZIF that I just tried to twist without something large being in the ZIF pin while twisting.

It looks pretty.

Hi,

That's interesting. I was thinking about twisting the pins 90 degrees too because then it would fit into a standard double wipe socket, but i was afraid a pin might break or otherwise get damaged, and i paid 16 dollars for that one socket.

At $10.98 for 10 Textool 224-3345 shipping included, I could afford to waste one or two. The secret is to have something wide clamped in the pin you are twisting.
The tweezers could be made to fit end to end.

PS: Was Telco troubleshooting today. Isolated it to the segment: Has 10K resistance, Probably a spider nest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back