Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

next programming to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have made some good choices.

The PIC18F chips are cheap enough that they do not matter much. about $2 to $6US.

The main thing you need to buy is a hardware device called a programmer. It allows you to program/flash the microcontroller from the PC. I suggest the PICkit2 ($35) or the Junbug(about $60). Both do the same thing but the Junebug has a 2nd processor that you can program along with switches, LEDs, etc. Both have additional debug ability. (nice tools)

In either case you need a few breadboardsd at about $4 each. To that add a few resistors and leds.

Past that you buy hardware/parts as you need them.

All the software for PIC18F development can be downloaded for free from microchip, including the C compiler.

wow...the pic microcontrollers are really that cheap? i thought that they'd be more along the lines of 100 usd. haha. guess i was wrong.

but anyways, is the programmer basically what an emulator is? I'm guessing that the programmer is pretty much an already built circuit for the microcontroller...(again, i'm still new to all this stuff so I don't know everything)

These programmers provide some of the functions provided by a processor emulator. Mostly run control which allows one to do In Circuit Debugging. ICD. What you do not get is trace. The number of breakpoints is limited.

They also alow you to program the PIC's flash memory.

The MPLAB IDE provides the debugger interface and dissasembles memory when needed.

They can also be used as a simplistic 3 channel logic analyzer but not while debugging.

Check US - Electronic Components Distributor | Newark.com for 18F prices.

wow...the pic microcontrollers are really that cheap? i thought that they'd be more along the lines of 100 usd. haha. guess i was wrong.

but anyways, is the programmer basically what an emulator is? I'm guessing that the programmer is pretty much an already built circuit for the microcontroller...(again, i'm still new to all this stuff so I don't know everything)

Yeah, a few months ago when i found out there were programmable microchips for around $5 and the programmer was $50 I was pretty excited too, I wondered how I didn't know till then.
By the way, if you go with C and PIC18s, the junebug is actually only about $40 at robotshop.us if you're in the US, i just ordered mine, but I picked it because its USB, it has some learning features (leds, buttons and pots that you can work with on board), and its developer is on this site often and is really helpful about answering your questions.

Last edited:
yea i've decided to go with the junebug, and some sort of pic18...i just don't know which one though...and i'm still looking at which compiler to use

wow...i just found this:

**broken link removed**

i think i might just get this since it has the robot parts, and i won't have to look for parts myself.

If you have the money and want to do robotics that is worth the price for starting out. I actually am just about to start with 18F chips myself, I had previously only used 16F and lower. Hence the need for upgrading to a junebug recently as well, my old programmer cant do 18Fs. Anyway, I started a thread about a good 18F chip to start with, so it might help you as well.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/looking-to-start-with-18f-series-sugest-chips.90566/

alright, i'll check it out

Microchip C18 or BoostC are my suggestions.

Microchip C18 student version is free but does not optimize as well after 60 days. You many never notice this. Because microchip makes it the MPLAB (Microchip IDE) integration is always good.

BootC is the ony C18 compiler I would pay money for*. It is about $60. It has its own IDE but it does not allow you to use the debugging features of PICkit2/junebug. You can use it from inside MPLAB but the last time I checked you had to use line numbers because the bit that allows you to click on a compiler error message and see the line with the error in your code was not working. Save for this inconvience it is a great compiler at a very good price.

*There are other good compilers out there but non as inexpensive as BoostC.

BoostC does allow the debug facilities in MPLAB, if you integrate it into MPLAB then it works with the debugger. It also works with the Pic16 series which C18 doesn't. Overall, I'm very impressed with BoostC.

Mike.

That right I just installed BoostC on my laptop and it works prefect with mplab the latest ver. they did a lot of fixing to make it work like it should.

ok so now i've officially decided what I'm getting. I'm getting the Mongoos robot kit that comes with the junebug, the Boost C compiler, and I'll find some book or something off the internet to learn about programming in C.

Now that that's settled, I have one last question. Is the programming language (C) just called C while programming a robot? I've been seen this other language...from vex i think, and it's called robotc. Is that a different type of C? or is just another fancy way that they want to call it?

C is a language that has been around for many years.

RobotC is C with a library of functions and and an operating system that make programmng a robot easier. VEX RobotC is RobotC tailored for the VEX robot controller.

Without looking further I can not tell if or how well a version RobotC will work with the Moongoose.

None of us use RobotC so it would be difficult to get help here. There are several of us that can help you with C18 or BoostC.

I need to inject a bit of reality at this point. There is a lot of learning between making the first LED blink and full control of any robot including Moongoose. But I think the path you are on is an execlent way to go.

yea, it think that while I'm waiting for the next month probably just for my things to arrive (it's my b-day soon and my parents are getting everything for me) I'm going to try and learn as much as possible of C just on PC. I already download a free compiler called Dev-C++. but it can also program in C. so far all i know is how to make it show phrases and say things (virtually...not with a voice)

Last edited:
BoostC does allow the debug facilities in MPLAB, if you integrate it into MPLAB then it works with the debugger. It also works with the Pic16 series which C18 doesn't. Overall, I'm very impressed with BoostC.

Mike.
my sentiments exactly!

Microchip C18 student version is free but does not optimize as well after 60 days.

I thought there was no optimization after 60 days?

A very important thing to do when learning code is to learn how the syntax interacts with each other. Also make sure you understand what you are reading, which can be tricky. Make sure to have plenty of data sheets and app notes before attempting to do something big or small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back