Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newish 3.5mm plugs ... supplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western

Can anyone point me to a supply of these plugs and the headers as well please. I’ve had no luck so far and can’t see any identifying marks at all on the plastic.

They have a pitch of 3.5mm ... pins are 1.3mm diameter ... and pins are a total of 12mm long (removed from the board).

A couple of the plugs I have are made up of 2 pin plugs keyed together on the ends. Thanks for any help.

20180508_155220_resized.jpg

One of these, perhaps?

Close, but I don't think so. I use the pictured 3.5mm ones from your link ... but they are only ~1mm diameter pins ... not the 1.3 that I need. And they are 50% higher too. Thank you.

Edit: Well I need to apologise. I checked that link on my phone when I was in bed and it showed just one page of results, a handful of options.

When I checked on my pc I realised that it was just page 1 of 1091.

I eventually discovered a handful of headers that will do the job. Some are even available thru element14 where I had already spent hours looking.

Pity they don’t use pin diameter as one of the search options ... I’m sure that would have sped things up.

Thanks alec_t.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I really thought that was the one Jim. The plug is the same profile with correct dimensions at 9.5mm deep by 10mm high. Couldn't believe they don't show the matching header on the datasheet ... though they did give some part numbers.

I was able to look them up but unfortunately the pins are only 1mm.

.3mm doesn't sound like much of a difference, but I guess it is 30% at 1mm ... and the plugs feel really sloppy on 1mm pins. :)

Thank you for your help.

It's for a dairy. There's one on each milking bail.

It has a separate sensor connected to it that the milk flows through.

When milking begins for each cow, the sensor tells the board when milk begins to flow ...

The board then switches vacuum to milk from just one teat of the udder for about 8 seconds ... and the sensor mentioned above measures conductivity to check for Mastitis.

After 8 seconds it swaps to the next quarter ... measuring each in turn.

If there is an abnormal reading, milking stops (for that cow) and an alarm signals the milker to investigate etc.

It provides a comparison between quarters ... often mastitis begins in just one quarter of the udder before it can spread to the others.

It also compares with the expected reading for the herd.

You can set the percentage difference parameters at the main controller hence the CAN bus.

Cows have RFID eartags or collars, so the system knows which cow is in each bail ... and allows the farmer to keep tabs on any problems ... animal health issues, milk yield, individualised feeding etc ... though that of course is with further equipment.

Thanks Ian, I had edited my post above (third from top) ... as once I checked alec_t's link on my PC and not just my phone ... I could see all the search options.

JimB also pointed out the Metz connector too. Looks identical ... but from the matching male header datasheet they list them as 1mm pins.

In fact I wonder if my sample is matched properly as the plugs are very tight on the pins ... yet if I plug it onto 1mm pins ... it feels sloppy. May just be that the sockets have been on the thicker pins for some time.

I ended up ordering some headers from element14 ... by TE Connectivity ... see here

I'll have to break them down ... their shorter ones won't be available until December or something like that.

It would certainly be easier to swap out the old 1.3mm pins..

Ahh ... now I get it. Bit thick. :)

Nah ... there's lots of these boards in each dairy. They might get a bit cranky with me if I send some back with smaller pins and they have to swap plugs to match. :)

As above ... there's one on each bail ... so could be 50 or 60 in a dairy.

These appear to be suitable:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

They fit with these - 3.5mm spacing 1.3mm diameter:
https://wecoconnectors.com/products/931-SLS

Thanks rjenkinsgb. That gives me more options again.

I can't believe the range of headers they recommend for those plugs ... from 1mm or 1.3mm round pins through to .8mm x 2.8mm flat pins.

I think I spent too much time trying to use 1.3mm diameter pins in my original searches.

I'll probably never need many pins anyway ... looks like someone stepped on one of the boards and bent a heap of pins over, with some breaking ... and others breaking when I tried to straighten them. Hopefully that wont happen too often.

And I only need a handful of plugs, to create some test leads for when the boards come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back