Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repair 3.5mm jack with mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocking

Good evening everyone. This is my first post and I appreciate any responses given. I could not find an article with a similar setup as mine so I apologize in advance if this has already been posted elsewhere or if this is the wrong category. I am embarking on a diy fix for my sons gaming headset to avoid throwing out a good headset and buying a new one. I have dissected the wire and plan on re soldering the wires to the jack but I’m not sure which wires go where. I have labeled the wires and the locations on the jack. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
0F1A637E-E0C0-468E-A77B-3E24052166C5.jpeg

Hi, welcome to the site!

The red/gold are most likely the headphone ground. Probably lacquer insulated, you may need to pass it through a flame to remove the insulation so it is solderable.

Green & Blue probably the two earpieces - which is which, is trial and error..

The white should be the microphone, with its own separate ground screen, and the inner red being the mic signal.

On the plug:
1 is left earpiece,
2 right earpiece,

3 is ground, both headphones and mic screen.

4 is the mic signal (the inner red).

Momentarily touching the headphone ground and one or the other earpiece wires to the ends of a 1.5V battery (eg. an AA cell) should make the appropriate earpiece click, so you can tell which wire is which side.

As I say, there is some guesswork in there without being able to test out the wiring properly; but it's the only combination that makes sense from what I can see..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back