Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntero

Hi there people, im kinda new to electronics and i wnated to know some basic but cool projects, like for example the ''sound reactive'' LED's, i like a good lightshow, so if you could help me out with some light/LED projects i would be thankfull

P.S.: Here's the link for the sound reactive LED's project, its a mod for a PSP but i used it in computer speakers and it works pretty neat.

Last edited:
Google: color organ

Ken

Google: color organ

Ken

Cool one, i would be thankfull if you got me a schematic, i saw a guy on Utube who did one with rgb led, somthing like red for high tone,blue for low and green for mid tones, i might have the colours wrong though

tntero,

Did you Google color organ? There are tons of schematics out there. If you want the use LEDs, Google: LED color organ

Ken

Last edited:
also can you think of any other project that is fairly easy and fun or cool too?

It depends on what type of project is fun for you. At the moment I spend a little time each night to make a small rc car. To make rc stuff is fun for me, but probably not for you. Point is, it is difficult to suggest a intersting project if you don't specify what type of project you want to do.

also can you think of any other project that is fairly easy and fun or cool too?

Fairly easy for me and fun and cool for you? I know about me...I need more info about what you find cool! ;)

Ken

well, im fascinated by lightshows and stuff like that,i would also like to try some project using a 555 timer just to understand how it works, also, any ideias on how to create an IR sender and a receiver to turn on and off a light?

The "sound reactive LEDs project" has the transistor connected upside-down because the author has the rounded side and the flat side of the TO-92 case mixed up and the transistor is connected like a PNP type but it is an NPN type.

Both wrong connections make it correct, excepy nothing limits the base current and nothing limits the LED current.

The "sound reactive LEDs project" has the transistor connected upside-down because the author has the rounded side and the flat side of the TO-92 case mixed up and the transistor is connected like a PNP type but it is an NPN type.

Both wrong connections make it correct, excepy nothing limits the base current and nothing limits the LED current.

well right or wrong, i connected that way and it works just fine, btw, i used 2 LED's in series for eache transistor, do you think it would be more sensitive if i used 1 transistor to each LED?
by more sensitive i mean, would it light up with less volume?

Without limiting the base current of the transistor with a resistor then the sound source (MP3 player?) and the transistor might burn out.
Without limiting the LED current with a resistor then the LED and the transistor might burn out.

Two LEDs being driven in series need an 8V power supply. One LED needs a 4V power supply. You have a 2V to 3V battery as a power supply so two LEDs in series will be dead.

Last edited:
Without limiting the base current of the transistor with a resistor then the sound source (MP3 player?) and the transistor might burn out.
Without limiting the LED current with a resistor then the LED and the transistor might burn out.

Two LEDs being driven in series need an 8V power supply. One LED needs a 4V power supply. You have a 2V to 3V battery as a power supply so two LEDs in series will be dead.

actualy, the speakers are in a computer, and the source power is 9V, so it works just fine, and i actually have it done, why are you doubting that much? i was telling how i did, not how i was going to do OK?

why are you doubting that much? i was telling how i did, not how i was going to do OK?
It is WRONG without having a resistor to limit the base current of the transistor and without having another resistor to limit the LED current.

The article shows the emitter connected to the LED but the article is also WRONG. The Collector of the transistor connects to the LED.

DUDE, your VU meter its pretty cool, how can i do one of those?, i mean do you have a schematic or something?
There are hundreds of VU meter projects on the internet. All use the LM3015 LED bar graph driver IC. The datasheet of the LM3915 shows the schematic of an extremely simple VU meter.

There are hundreds of VU meter projects on the internet. All use the LM3015 LED bar graph driver IC. The datasheet of the LM3915 shows the schematic of an extremely simple VU meter.

thanks, and BTW, its good to talk to you without being arguing, and about the speakers, it works...I know it has got an higher voltage than reccomended, but because it is only 1 volt it works fine, when the LED's fry, i'll buy some new ones

the basic of VU meter is voltage driven detector driving a multi-stage voltage detector which in turn drives a switch-style LED signal driver. Mostly there are ICs for that which detects voltage(equals to sound/music amplitude mostly) and reacts accordingly(lighting up the appropriate level of LEDs).
For tone-based ones you might want to hook different tone-filter stages in-between the audio output and the voltage detector stage, so each bass/middle/treble range have its own set of VU meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back