Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie here!! Need some help with electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluetriforce

For many years since i was in high school I was wanting to learn basic electronics I am 20 years old now. My grandfather knew alot of electronics from the years 1950s to 1970s (before he retired) and he still has a little knowage of basic electronics to teach me with. So next I buy a soldering iron, 470 ohm resistors, push button, 6 volts blue led, and 4 AA battery holders, My grandad did the soldering to put these parts together onto a small circuit board. Now it is my turn to do my first time soldering project. Where online can I find tutorials for basic soldering instructions.
Next I have been looking online for resistors, capacitors, diodes, led lights and many more items. I am also looking at and need someone to explain these test equiptment like 40MHz or 100MHz analog oscilloscope 2 channel delayed sweep, power supplies from 0 to 30 volts or more, and function generators, how they will work with electronic circuits. I found all of this at https://www.web-tronics.com/test-equipment.html Thanks for taking your time to read all of this!

Chris :?:

Welcome to the gang! I'll tell you how I've been learning.

A good place to start is to get yourself a Basic Electronics book. I bought a copy of the book called "Basic Electronics" by Gene McWhorter & Alvis J. Evans. This book explains everything about common electronic devices, and Electricity theory. The book even has worksheets and "quiz yourself" questions as you progress through each chapter. The book is 200 pages and will get you on an excellent start to understanding exactly what is happening in circuits, on a broad scale.

I've also noticed a lot of Basic Electronics books sitting at the used bookstore "Borders Bookstore" etc. You can probably get a cheap copy this way, though I only paid $10 for the book that I have. You may even find a book that will go into soldering techniques too.

About soldering, you can search Google.com for "Soldering techniques". There is bound to be at least 20 or so websites that will take you through the basics of soldering. There are also many books available that will explain soldering to you, but you can probably get the information that you need on the web, for free.

To sit here an explain to you what each component does, would probably be worthless, because you can get better information from the Basic Electronics book.

After learning the basics, through the book. I was given an electronics learning lab, from Radio Shack. The learning lab contained a platform and components to make all kinds of circuits. The learning lab also contained two books, which were full of interesting circuits to build with the learning lab. This helped me understand more about how components can be put together to perform some sort of task. Also, I've found a great deal of satisfaction by going through each circuit, and finding the values of Voltage, current, resistance etc at each point.

If a learning lab is not the way to go, for you. I suggest finding a very simple circuit to start building, probably some sort of LED flasher, or simple amplifier. You'll learn by doing, and making mistakes. Start with low voltage applications, such as 9volts or so. This way, if you make a mistake, no big deal.

HERES MY FAVORITE:
I've been saving all of the old electronics things that I have, that are either broken, or someone doesn't want. When someone doesn't want an old clock, I grab it, open it up and see how it works. I find the values for all of the components, calculate voltage, resistance etc, to see how it works. You'd be surprised at all of the electronics things you can salvage by letting someone know, "Hey, if you have anything electronic that you don't want, don't throw it away, give it to me."
After gaining understanding, I either make something from it, or desolder all of the components and save them for future projects. This will help you save tons of money. I have plastic boxes for resistors, capacitors, diodes, transformers, LEDS, IC's on and on.

Also, asking LOTS of questions. What is this for? What is that for? What if I were to do this? etc. Forums like this will help you learn a great deal. Just ask...

Finally, you may want to consider going to college, or a tech school (though I think Tech Schools are overpriced). Take a Basic electronics course at a community college, even get a degree in electronics engineering etc.

My final thought: Electronics isn't really something you will learn in a weekend or so. To get into the good stuff, and really understand what is going on, you'll need to keep at it. Build circuits, analize them, improve them, then build another. You can make things for your friends/family etc. just don't give up, because there is an enormous amount of information to learn(A lifetime amount of information). I wish you the best of luck!

basic electronics

:D hi bluetriforce,

welcome to the forum :) :)

what you are asking about oscilloscope and soldering tecks. is right here in the forum. go to THEORY ARTICLES authored by mechie :wink:

Electronics technics

I would not concern about soldering technics.. First I would study all the teory about resistive, capacitive and inductive circuits and semicondutors. It's all about web! www.play-hookey.com www.ibiblio.org has a open book project about electronics very useful in principies. Take a look!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back