Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newb: Battery charging current

Status
Not open for further replies.

p_circuit

Newb here.

I would like to know the behavour of 12V batteries concerning charging current.

I am looking into a Telecomunicatios battery with a 50AH rating.

I will be utilizing it in an automotive 12v environment.

I would like to know if charging the battery with 100amp current for 5-20min will cuase the battery to prematurely fail?

From what I understand the car Alternator will taper the voltage/current to t he battery after it has reached it's peak internal risistance and the battery begins to absorb a charge.

But would like to confirm this with someone.

100A will melt wires and cause a car battery to boil. Don't do it.

Hi Heli Flyer,
I have two IR remote controlled indoors helicopters. The small one is the Havoc Heli (I got it free from Energizer Battery Company) and the big one is the Twin Thunder (I got from my son as a Christmas gift). I fly them outside at dusk when the sun doesn't cause interference and the wind is low. They fly for 6 minutes per charge and charging takes 15 minutes.

Attachments

• remote helicopter.jpg
    remote helicopter.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 154
The OP asked about 50AH telecommunication batteries and he received a reply about a car battery and model helicopters!!

I don't know the answer but wanted to point out that people appear to have misread his question.

Mike.

A real car has a 100AH battery. The OP is talking about frying a little 50AH telecom battery. He might even fry the alternator but I don't think it will supply 100A.
I hope he posts a video of the wiring on fire and the battery boiling.

Hi Heli Flyer,
I have two IR remote controlled indoors helicopters. The small one is the Havoc Heli (I got it free from Energizer Battery Company) and the big one is the Twin Thunder (I got from my son as a Christmas gift). I fly them outside at dusk when the sun doesn't cause interference and the wind is low. They fly for 6 minutes per charge and charging takes 15 minutes.

Time to hijack a thread :p

Hey I got a Havoc for my birthday last November from my wife. I played with it, but was not real happy with it's controllability. I could handle up and down OK but steering and heading were more 'adventurous' then controlled. I did a little research on a R/C forum and it seems the Eflight just released a micro model last October for indoor use only. I bought one for Christmas. The ready to fly version comes with a 4 channel 2.4ghz transmitter and flight battery charger for $130. It weighs only 1 oz but I get 10 mins of flight time with the battery. The thing is this thing is really controllable on all aspects of flight and can be flow by anyone without prior experience, it really is that stable. It's a blast, doesn't make much noise and is the best 'toy' I've had for decades.

Check out the video in this link:

**broken link removed**

Lefty

Last edited:
The E-Flight Heli looks like it is too easy to fly. I am pretty good flying my "difficult to control'" Havoc Heli and Twin Thunder Heli.

The E-Flight Heli looks like it is too easy to fly. I am pretty good flying my "difficult to control'" Havoc Heli and Twin Thunder Heli.

I hear ya. In fact many in the R/C forum kind of look down on most of the coaxial rotor helicopters as being too stable and not a real challenge like the single rotor with full cyclic control models. Of couse the same crowd complains about the high cost of repairs on their models after even minor crashes!) Not unlike the C crowd talking about the BASIC crowd around here sometimes ;)

Anyway while I've been in electronics my whole life and I'm use to the progress and innovation and lowered cost over the decades, however this MCX helo really amazed me from a technical point. The little single PCB board has a built in gyro, two board mounted servos and drives two external PWM motors. It's 130mah single cell Lipo battery gets 10 mins of flight and uses a stable 2.4ghz digital radio link, all for $130 retail. Wonder what the wholesale cost and actual cost to manufacture is? And this is not a super large volume market where tremondous volumes helps scale down the costs. That's quite a technical achievement in my book, very geeky toy ;)

Lefty

Last edited:
The American company Air Hogs didn't even invent their cheap helicopters. They might even pay a royalty to Silverlit who have similar ones. Of course they are so cheap that they are made in China.

I have worn out three Havocs. I buy a new one from Wal-Mart then return the worn out one for a refund.

The American company Air Hogs didn't even invent their cheap helicopters. They might even pay a royalty to Silverlit who have similar ones. Of course they are so cheap that they are made in China.

I have worn out three Havocs. I buy a new one from Wal-Mart then return the worn out one for a refund.

Yea, we wouldn't want Wal-Mart to make a profit off of you. ;)

Last edited:
The Spinmaster Air Hogs Havoc Heli box says, "Made under licence from Silverlit".
Silverlit is a toy company in China. The Spinmaster Air Hogs toys are made in China.

The Silverlit Picoo-Z helicopter is the original very cheap IR controlled one and is exactly the same as the copy made for Spinmaster Air Hogs.
The Silverlit Tandem Z-1 helicopter is the original very cheap IR controlled one and is exactly the same as the copy made for Spinmaster Air Hogs.

This is pretty lame.

Car battery don't even pass 30 AH ratings LOL!

And no one knows 140amp alternator can produce a cold 70 amps?> Well I guess the alternators in your car powering your AC run off air instead...LOL

I'm OUTA HERE!!

Hardly anybody here says where they are from.
I am from Canada where cars and their batteries are huge. Some countries have dinky little cars with dinky little 30AH batteries.

The air conditioner in my car is driven by a belt from the engine. The electrical system just powers the fan.

The Spinmaster Air Hogs Havoc Heli box says, "Made under licence from Silverlit".
Silverlit is a toy company in China. The Spinmaster Air Hogs toys are made in China.

Everything's made in China, but that helicopter was designed in Chicago. I worked on the project, and recognise that characteristic rotor - there was a wall at Rehkemper covered in those coaxial dual-prop prototypes. This was almost 10 years ago.

Thanks for telling me about "Silverlit" - never heard of them, but they do have the patent and only cite Rehkemper as a reference. I'll find out what happened.

Hi Duffy,
I'll be darned. Wikipedia says that SpinMaster is in Toronto. I live in a suburb of Toronto.

EDIT: Wal Mart stores in Toronto also sell SilverLit electric airplanes that are exactly the same as the SpinMaster Air Hogs ones on the same shelf in the store.

RC Groups have a review of the Havoc Heli and say this about it:

Attachments

• Air Hogs Havoc Heli.PNG
    Air Hogs Havoc Heli.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back