Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

'Faulty' DeWalt battery pack.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
I thought I'd post this, as it's the second one I've seen - from the same guy. He's a carpenter/joiner, and he did some work for us last year - a small studding wall, a door, and a workbench (at VERY reasonable cost) - he talked to us about battery packs, and we offered to have a go at repairing any faulty ones he had (but he'd recently thrown one away).

Anyway, a week or two later he pops in, with a DeWalt battery pack that's failed - so, as he's a nice guy, I looked at it while he waited, and all that was wrong was a wire had come off - presumably he'd been giving it some hard use, and it had got too hot?. Couple of minutes work, so I refused any payment.

Got to work this morning, and he'd dropped another dead DeWalt battery off (after I'd left work Friday) - exactly the same fault, wire popped off - it wasn't the same battery, I'd recognise my own soldering.

Here's a picture of the offending wire, sorry it's a bit blurred, but I couldn't persuade my phone to focus where I wanted.

So having seen two, with identical faults, it looks like it's a common issue? - nice easy little job though :D

IMG_1909[1].JPG

I have just renewed my drill, but when I found out dewalt is just Black and decker ( industrial version) I bought makita.. was a wise choice.

I used to have a black and decker way back and was frought with issues.

I have just renewed my drill, but when I found out dewalt is just Black and decker ( industrial version) I bought makita.. was a wise choice.

I used to have a black and decker way back and was frought with issues.
Well DeWalt is now owned by Black & Decker, but the gear still seems pretty good. We've got three DeWalt tools at work, which use the same battery style as the one I repaired, and we've been very happy with them.

It's mostly the cordless drill which gets used (in fact I've just finished using it), and it's small and light, perfect for our usage.

I've always been a big believer in Bosch power tools, and still have a fairly large (850W) old hammer drill.

Interviews I've done with contractors used to like Dewalt and most have switched to Milwaukee. Some switched to Bosch, Mikita or Hitachi before setting on Milwaukee. They like the fact that Milwaukee batteries are available at big box stores and are the same battery options (model numbers) as available Milwaukee contractor shops. Apparently, there are two or three series of Dewalt batteries and Bosch batteries are harder to find in some seasons. Most all brands have battery packs assembled in China.

Never had DeWalt tools, mates do rate them, DIYers tools maybe different ruggedness from pro products, The battery factory probably make units for several makes, I have had Makita and Bosch, The Einhell power tools / garden equipment are well made and reasonable price.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back