Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to forum and thinking about ordering a EEE PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing against it is grate :D I've got one that i use at school and the only down side is battery life is not long. but other than that is very light and good quality

get the 901. i would ditch the XP or the preinstalled linux in put on ubuntu. or you can to multi boot off SD cards have XP on one sd card and Xandros on another

get the 901. i would ditch the XP or the preinstalled linux in put on ubuntu. or you can to multi boot off SD cards have XP on one sd card and Xandros on another

Perhaps you skipped my question, but I am asking about the 701SD, not the 901. I am getting XP and will certainly not be getting Linux, Ubuntu, or Xandros.

701 is good... but the i dont think i could handle the small screen...whats wrong with linux. i get 30min more on battery life in ubuntu then XP, on my IBM T41

Sorry i know its not the model your after but I have the 901 - infact im using it now - it running XP and it seems to run forever on batterys. I love it - one of my favorite toys :D

mines cost £299, and the ONLY bad thing i have to say about it is : when viewing webpages, you need to scroll a lot - by the time the toolbar, startbar, titlebar, menubar, etc are visible youve lost 1/4 of your screen.

For xmas I bought my wife the 1000D EeePC. It seems to be nice. 120G HD, plenty of RAM, winXP. Downside was that WinOffice was not included and since the Eee has no CD I am not sure how to install office from my CD. I thought of just downloading Openoffice. Is that sw word compatible?

Also, My home network is not wireless, I have a linksys BEFSR41 router that all my pc's are linked to. Can I get a wireless dongle that will plug into my router? I really don't want to switch all my pc's to wireless, no need.

Other thing I was wondering, can my wife install sw from her desktop to the Eee via USB?

Thanks

For xmas I bought my wife the 1000D EeePC. It seems to be nice. 120G HD, plenty of RAM, winXP. Downside was that WinOffice was not included and since the Eee has no CD I am not sure how to install office from my CD. I thought of just downloading Openoffice. Is that sw word compatible?

Also, My home network is not wireless, I have a linksys BEFSR41 router that all my pc's are linked to. Can I get a wireless dongle that will plug into my router? I really don't want to switch all my pc's to wireless, no need.

Other thing I was wondering, can my wife install sw from her desktop to the Eee via USB?

Thanks

I think the Eee concept is great and wouldn't mind having one but will probably wait as I can't really justify it being retired and very happy with a new custom built desktop. Anyway one of the major trade offs they made with this series is the lack of an optical drive. That does make installing commercial software somewhat of a hassle. However one easy solution of be an external USB optical drive and at $50 it isn't too costly a solution. One does not really need to bring it along when travelling so it shouldn't impact weight or decreasing battery like. Check this out:

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Gray & Black 8X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 6X DVD+R DL 8X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 8X DVD-ROM 24X CD-R 24X CD-RW 24X CD-ROM 2MB Cache USB 2.0 Slim External 8X DVD Drive Model SE-S084B - External CD / DVD Drives

Lefty

Last edited:
I think the Eee concept is great and wouldn't mind having one but will probably wait as I can't really justify it being retired and very happy with a new custom built desktop. Anyway one of the major trade offs they made with this series is the lack of an optical drive. That does make installing commercial software somewhat of a hassle. However one easy solution of be an external USB optical drive and at $50 it isn't too costly a solution. One does not really need to bring it along when travelling so it shouldn't impact weight or decreasing battery like. Check this out:

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Gray & Black 8X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 6X DVD+R DL 8X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 8X DVD-ROM 24X CD-R 24X CD-RW 24X CD-ROM 2MB Cache USB 2.0 Slim External 8X DVD Drive Model SE-S084B - External CD / DVD Drives

Lefty

Thanks Lefty, I did look at the external drives while purchasing the Eee, the cheapest drive at Best Buy was $100.0 which pushed my shopping budget. So perhaps I may get one for the Misses later:)

My wife is a school teacher and all she really needs is MSOffice, I may just use the above mentioned $100. and purchase the download version of office for her.

One more comment. My wifes comment actually. It is so small, how cuuute :) I love it...

And she was talking about the computer :)

Last edited:
Thanks Lefty, I did look at the external drives while purchasing the Eee, the cheapest drive at Best Buy was $100.0 which pushed my shopping budget. So perhaps I may get one for the Misses later:)

My wife is a school teacher and all she really needs is MSOffice, I may just use the above mentioned $100. and purchase the download version of office for her.

Open ofiice is really good enough for a teacher, i believe , Mike!

wish you all Happy Times

Open ofiice is really good enough for a teacher, i believe , Mike!

wish you all Happy Times

Will the files transfer to users of MS Office? Compatability is only concern.

Thanks

Sounds good Sarma, thanks... I think I will give it a try.

Sounds good Sarma, thanks... I think I will give it a try.
this tempts me and a local inquiry indicated that eee1000 with 80gb and with XP home, costs 23000/- in Indian currency. while one $=In Rs48/-

Last edited:
this tempts me and a local inquiry indicated that eee1000 with 80gb and with XP home, costs 23000/- in Indian currency. while one $=In Rs48/-

I paid $350.00 US for the 1000 Eee PC with 120 GB hardrive as stated above.

Looks like you pay a bit more, a hundred bucks more. :(

I paid $350.00 US for the 1000 Eee PC with 120 GB hardrive as stated above.

Looks like you pay a bit more, a hundred bucks more. :(

What I said is consolidated price to reach my home.True that HDD capacity is 50% more in your case.
Does your price includes tax and transportation ?

Last edited:
What I said is consolidated price to reach my home. is your price includes tax and transportation ?

I wish someone paid me to get my arse to the store. :) No I just went to the store, bought the PC, price was about $350. tax not included. About 30 bucks more with tax.

Also, My home network is not wireless, I have a linksys BEFSR41 router that all my pc's are linked to. Can I get a wireless dongle that will plug into my router? I really don't want to switch all my Pc's to wireless, no need.

Thanks

you dont have to make you hole network wireless....a wireless router is also a wired router.

I wish someone paid me to get my arse to the store. :) No I just went to the store, bought the PC, price was about $350. tax not included. About 30 bucks more with tax.
Hai, Mikebits,

this is a sample of Presentation slide made on Open office and saves as mvss in microsoft power point file (zipped for uploading)
as such it opens under winXP. same in other applications also

Hope this helps you to decide to use Openoffice.org on your EEE1000 machine.

Attachments

• mvss.zip
    61.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back