Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New popups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While reading Pommie's...

20200605_213120.jpg

Just for the record, I find those popups to be on the same level of irritation as someone getting in my face and shouting at me.
I agree.

I make a note of whose advertisement it is, and make a point of never giving them any future business. So, the owners of this site and their advertisers may want to take that into account.
I don't do this. I hold nothing against Microchip for paying for an ad.

I've got nothing against ads. Just put them down one side of the page where we can look at them or not. That's what sensible sites do.
I thought we signed up as members and contributors, to have the additional benefit of not being spammed with ads?

While reading Pommie's...
You just never know when they are going to turn up...
Ever been about to step into an elevator full of people, and felt the gurgle appear in your bowel?
These ads are about as welcome as that!
:D

I don't do this. I hold nothing against Microchip for paying for an ad.
Fair enough, and there's no practical way I can boycott their products. But the way the ads are presented is still extremely irritating. It seems to me that using popups is just using technology for technology's sake, without any thought about effectiveness or consequences. I frequent another forum that has a static column of ads down the right side of the page, and over a period of months they eventually have an effect and I may click on one or two of them. On the other hand, when a popup ad appears, I swear under my breath, "Get out of my effin' face," and click the go away button before I even have a chance to see what it's about.

Very strange. I do not have adblock enabled on ETO and yet I still am not seeing these popups?

I just logged in using Firefox on Win 10 and still no adblock. Once again, no popups. Even clicked into several different threads. Mods shouldn't be any more exempt from ads than any other members.

dmiyares , thoughts?

I'm using the latest Firefox, and it doesn't prevent the popups.

It wouldn't be so bad if it would stay gone, after clicking the close box, but the goddamned thing keeps coming back.

On Win10 64-bit and Chrome as the main browser.
Had the MPLAB popups on that, until killing it with AdBlock, not seen any since.
Just fired up Firefox and didn't see any popup when logged into ETO.
Updated Firefox to latest version - 77.0.1 (32-bit) with no ad-blockers installed, and no popups noted.
Strange.

I'm also using AdBlock, but maybe it's not configured properly. I'll have to have another look.
It's unfortunate that I've reached the point of having to block an ad on a site that I'd like to support. But there's a limit to what I can put up with.

I'm also using AdBlock, but maybe it's not configured properly. I'll have to have another look.
If/when the ad pops up again, try right-clicking on it and see if there's options to block it, and those of the same type.
I had to do the same on Chrome, after taking into account what rjenkinsgb wrote here:
The blockers do not automagically catch everything, and have to have their hands held sometimes.

I have Adblock and Adblock Plus disabled on all of ETO, and I have yet to see any of these popups....

Supposedly they're not supposed to show up for members who are logged in.

dmiyares Any comments?

They definitely pop up and I've lost text due to them removing focus from the reply (this) box.

Mike.

Every time they've popped up on me, I've been logged in.
I think I may have AdBlock configured correctly now. So, I'll see if I get any more of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back