Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrostatic

Hey all. Im involved in a networking class at school and i have to do a small research on at least 5 types of non cisco routers that i can use. Also the type of protocols, Interfaces, and OS. Now can someone tell me what does my teacher mean by interface. Also can you guys name a couple of routers so that i can look up and see the prices etc...

Thank you

One of my routers is a DLINK DI-604.

Here is some info on it:
https://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62

I use it with both Mac OSX and windows xp pro SP2. It has also been used with mac OS 8.6 when I was running my webserver through it.

**edit**
As far as interface goes, I would assume that he means where you can change user settings etc for the router. The setup screens or whatever. To get to them on this router, you go into your browser and go to 192.168.0.1 and then log in.

One of mine is a Bt voyager 105 , fairly common as it comes with the bundle from AOL. Now Aol's tech support will swear blind that you cannot network any machines using thier Silver package and this router...

:p I beg to differ :wink:

The Mad Professor said:
One of mine is a Bt voyager 105 , fairly common as it comes with the bundle from AOL. Now Aol's tech support will swear blind that you cannot network any machines using thier Silver package and this router...

:p I beg to differ :wink:

Not "can't", aren't allowed to, unless you pay them more money :lol:

Nigel Goodwin said:
Not "can't", aren't allowed to, unless you pay them more money :lol:

Sigh.. True ... I know they are just following orders.

Thankfully the internet does eventually yield a couple of workarounds after a bit of digging, though tyring to explain that the root of someones networking problems is the software installed by the client at the request of the ISP is a tad more awkward to put across.

Is is just AOL who does this or do other ISP's browser software monkey about with connectivity in this manner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back