Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Networking question - What's required (Ethernet to Wireless), but the wrong way

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
Hey guys, I need a Bridge or Gateway of sorts.

I'd like to be able to connect wired Ethernet to a device that connects to the Internet only through wireless.

The problem:

I have a wireless 4G router that can only connect clients to the internet via wireless.
I'd like to get a balance router and set it up so that I can use that connection for failover.

Whatever this device is, it needs to connect to say the WAN2 port of the balance router with Ethernet. The WAN1 port would connect to the ADSL modem.

An expensive, almost solution, is https://www.peplink.com/products/balance/model-comparison/ , but the cellular modem must be USB.

I'm also planning to upgrade to the ASUS RT-68Uac router when announced. This also can interface with a USB cellular modem.

I am using an access point from D-link as a repeater, but have not tried to see if it COULD work in the mode desired. I also have an oler AP that I am not using, but just not sure if they work in reverse.

I really don't have all of the details, nor am I familiar with what i might need. The ASUS router is very similar tot e RT-66ac. The primary difference is the use of USB 3.0 ports. The 66 has some sort of failover implemented to a USB cellular modem.

Verizon is so unreliable that I want/need backup internet with the ability to access my network printers. CLEAR allows you to purchase unlimited internet by as few hours, days, weeks or months at a time. I just used the CLEAR modem for a day for like $10. With Windows (which I'm not using at the moment), I could tether my laptop to the Internet. That way gets really expensive with a 2 GB limit per month.

Hi

The basic difference between the two features:

Failover is an inactive standby network connection that becomes active when failure of the main connection is detected.

Load balancing provides two or more active network connections that pass traffic and share the load. If one connection fails, the other continues to operate and pass traffic.

Some routers provide both features, but it sound like you want Failover.

Here's one from Dlink that does both:
**broken link removed**

It's a DSR-500n but a little pricey... $280.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back