Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Home networking questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
I've never had an interest in network computing, only one computer up and running at a time. I bought a Vista HP computer last year, and the XP is still working. Not everything works on Vista, so I'm stuck going back and forth between the two, either coping files, or swapping cables(tangled mess). Went through the WIFI nightmare, might have gotten it going, but hit a snag, so left off for a while. Recently picked up some Bluetooth Dongles, so I could at least use my photo printer from either computer. Messed around, and think I've got both computers connected, but hit the same problem...

The snag, which I'm sure is so damn simplistic is that I don't have a clue as to what to type, or where, to access the other computer's files, printer, or anything else. Most of the stuff I'm finding on the internet about networking basics, is mostly setup and security, not the actual usage. I know, how could anybody in this day and age, not know something so simple. Just never came up before. Any got a few minute to spare, please type a few examples out, so I can get the basic idea.

Go to start and look for "My Network Places" and then in the left hand panel you should have "Show Workgroup Computers". Double click this and the other computer should show up (you may have to click workgroups or mshome first). To share a folder on one of the machines right click on it and go to "Share".

Mike.

Some Xp computers can't network with with Vista you have to install a file from Microsoft
but if you keep your computer up to date you shouldn't have it install it It was in service pack 3 here a walk thew that will get you going File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back