Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

negative voltage to positive passive conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_B

Hi Chaps

I have a problem as always, I need to be able to monitor 4 lines. They all share a common grnd and can have 3 states in reference to the common line.

Ov
+9

I need to recognise these states in a MCU. 0 is easy and so is +9 but the -9 is giving me problems. Especially as I must consume no power doing so. So a couple of opto isolators are not an option as the transistor outputs will draw current and as the device is battery powered and needs to run for a year +. The signals will wake the MCU from its slumbers.

If the MCU has an ADC, then use that. Bias the input to the ADC and use a voltage divider so that it's input is always between 0&5V for a 9 to -9V swing. Which MCU are you using?

Ok lets try again

I have 4 outputs from a device

common

The outputs can have 3 states 9v, 0v and -9v. I'm not sure how I can make that any clearer.

As I said in my original post
Especially as I must consume no power doing so. So a couple of opto isolators are not an option as the transistor outputs will draw current and as the device is battery powered and needs to run for a year +. The signals will wake the MCU from its slumbers.

What that means in real simple speak

1 +9v is easy a simple r/r divider will do
2 0v is easy as I do nothing as this is the default state
3 -9v is the hard bit
4 I cannot use any current consuming devices eg opto isolators
5 I have to be asleep all the time and wake via interrupt on change
"The signals will wake the MCU from its slumbers" that means no ADC!

3 -9v is the hard bit
Do the -9V the same way as the +9V; with a divider, except put the "low end" of the divider to the MCUs +5V supply. Use high value resistors to minimize current drain or put a 6V zener in series with the resistor connected to the -9V signal so there is zero current draw at 0V input. Since there are no 3 state inputs on any MCUs that I know of, you'll need 8 IO pins to detect 3 states on 4 lines.

Last edited:
Divider does not meet the requirement of "consume no power".

Maybe if you define "no power" there would be other useful suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back