Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need some help 16v to 12v resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sub2001zero

Hi everone, I am some what new to electronic.

I am bulding a flashlight.
Here is what i know.
Bulb is 35w 12volts 35w/12v=2.93amps The bulb can handle 12.8 max volt.
battery total voltage would be around 16v +/-
So I want to use a resistor to lower the votage to 12.5v or somewhere around there.

Thanks and have a nice day:)

Personally I would run the bulb on 12 volts but matters not once you apply a formula. You have your current because 35 watts / 12 volts = 2.93 Amps. So if I want to limit my circuit current to 2.93 Amps I get 16 volts - 12 volts = 4 volts / 3.93 amps = 1.01 Ohms so you place a 1 Ohm resistor in series with the bulb. However, remember that resistor will have a current of about 4 Amps and a voltage across it of 4 volts so 4 * 4 = 16 watts or to be safe and not overheat the resistor you would need about 1 Ohm 30 Watt resistor as the resistor will be dissipating 16 watts. Not very practical but that is how it works out.

Ron

That would be 16v - 12v = 4v, divide that by 2.93A = 1.36 ohms or less, given your bulb's voltage range. The current through the bulb will increase if you increase the voltage, so your 2.93 won't be the same. I would try 1.2 ohms for starters, and since it is passing nearly 3A you should be looking at a resistor rated 12W - that is an awful lot of power to be throwing away, you really should be looking at trying to use a 12V battery instead.

An incandescent light bulb produces mostly heat plus a little light. They are obsolete for a flashlight. Use a powerful LED instead.

12v and 35w sounds like you're wanting to make a flashlight using a quartz-halogen lamp with a built-in reflector --- right? Don't forget that those thing get mighty hot and you'll need a ceramic connector for the thing as well as a heat-resistant mounting. Rather than using a resistor to knock your supply voltage down, why not use PWM circuit that'd be a lot more efficient?

If the battery isnt all that big the lamp will 'pull' the voltage down anyways, so you might not need a power wasting resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back