Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need some advice about this circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone tell me what the LED D13 is supposed to do in this circuit? It's a cheap FM radio kit I bought just for something to build. It works fine as a radio except this LED doesn't seem to do anything. I was careful to get the polarity correct. The silk screen printing clearly indicated the "+" lead - the longer of the two. It looks like it's part of the 4-digit LED display circuit. Sadly, I have little expertise with schematics. In the parts list it's listed as "LED white to Blue" with no model number.

I'm not sure if this is a fault with the design but the 4-digit frequency display causes an objectionable buzzing in the audio until it turns off automatically 5/6 seconds after selecting a station. It only comes on when being tuned.

There are complete assembly instructions here in case anyone wants to see the thing in detail

**broken link removed**

Thanks for reading.
Trevor

Attachments

• Schematic.JPG
    Schematic.JPG
    503.6 KB · Views: 200
I wondered if it was just that but there's no voltage across the two pads so I guess I must have done something wrong in the assembly. Ah well.

There should be a voltage, as you have R1 in series with it. However they've put R1 at 10k, which seems very high for powering an LED (unless it's one of the ultra low current ones, I don't know what those will actually run on). Try changing it to 1k or lower. Although it seems like a pointless LED anyway if I'm honest!

Thank you throbscottle. Yes, totally pointless. Unless they put it in because the 4-digit display can't stay on due to the RF noise the circuit creates in the audio. Pretty crappy design I'm thinking.

You're a Roald Dahl fan, I take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back