Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help for the cub scouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denvertim

I am trying to build a "christmas tree" drag racing set of lights for the local and district cub scouts .

What I would like is to have:
1) Top Ready lights (controlled by 2 switches if any of them open light is off
2) 3 sets of yellow lights (these would be triggered by the third switch and maybe like a .4 second delay for each )
3) green light - comes on after yellow and stays on about 7 seconds
4) red light - a seperate switched light

If we were to build this we would love to make the lights normal like 100 watt bulbs or sometrhing that bright as we will use it for pinewood derby races and soapbox derby races.

Hmmm okay maybe I am not good explaining
the stand will have 10 lights
The top 2 are on till someone presses go switch
then in sequens they turn off as the next turns on
3 yellow pair (somewhere under a second)
then a green pair (staying on till either switch is released or maybe 7 seconds)

A bottom red pair could wither tun on after green goes off or probally a sendon switch (maybe a 3 position switch for this)

As you can see I am flexible and would love to see what Ideas you guys get.... We would be forever grateful for the help (the cub scouts)

Please I can build it but cant design it... anyone help?

I can be reached at
here
or tcarmitchel@yahoo.com
The cub scouts can help pay for your time if need

Let's see if I understand: there are two sets of 5 lights. The top pair are on initially, the next 3 turn on and off in sequence, the 5th pair turn on for 7 seconds. There is a 6th pair of red lights but the purpose and when they light is not clear. 12 lights?

yes

O O - Ready lights ( On if red is not or sequence is not on)

0 0 - yellow pair 1 (On when switch or button makes contact for ~.4sec)
0 0 - yellow pair 2 (On after pair goes off) ~ .4 sec
0 0 - Yellow pair 3 (on after pair 2 goes off) ~ .4 sec

0 0 - Green Pair 1 (on after Yellow pair 3 is off)
(stays on about 7 seconds) ( or maybe turned off)
0 0 - Red pair ( On if second switch is thrown? used to say race is aborted)

So yes 12 lights ...

I think that we are all "Thinking to Hard"! Your Project is just too simple, But a microcontroler will be the easy / best / cheap way to go!!
Get a PIC basic program like PROTON (free demo)
Basic code would be like,
light 1 = on 2 sec delay light 1 off (RED)
light 2 = on(yellow)
if switch 1 = on and switch 2 = on
then
light 3 = 0n (yellow) delay .5 sec
light 4 = 0n (yellow) delay .5 sec
light 5 = on ( Green) delay .5 sec
End program!

I bet that you can have this project running under $20 ( minus lights )! inculding making the PIC programmer. ( glitchbuster.com ) has everything !

Here's a solution that doesn't use a microcontroller, in case that is beyond your capabilities.
I didn't draw the ready lights or the red lights. You don't need MOSFETS for them. Put the two ready switches in series, and the lamps in parallel, then to the AC line. I think you know how to do the red lights.
You should choose relays that can handle at least 5 amps contact current.
Be very careful with circuits that connect to the AC line! You can be killed!
It might be better to use automotive lamps and a 12 volt, sealed lead-acid battery. You could power the lamps and the circuitry off the same battery.

Attachments

• racing_xmas_tree.png
    racing_xmas_tree.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 331
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back