Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help for developing an electric fencing for my farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
You can see the draw date on the fence circuit, two were built at that time [2008] and have been working almost non stop on our South African farm.
The area is prone to severe regular electrical storms, these keep going when semiconductor versions blow.

I would agree a 100mtr or so fence is a limitation

hi,
You can see the draw date on the fence circuit, two were built at that time [2008] and have been working almost non stop on our South African farm.
The area is prone to severe regular electrical storms, these keep going when semiconductor versions blow.

I would agree a 100mtr or so fence is a limitation

I have NEVER had any Problems with the Mosfets being damaged in Electrical Storms.
Several Hundred of both my Fencer circuits are in operation all over the world.

One guy in Hawaii has one in operation around a small Coffee Plantation.
It is Well over 100 mtr, but he Has GOOD INSULATORS on it.

That's good to hear, obviously you have a good design.

First off 1ms is way to quick, you need around 600ms on time or the signal does nothing to the animal, 1.3 seconds off time is normal. We have had miles of bull fencing around our old farm that ran at 12000V. Be really careful of some designs and commercial circuits, these are designed to detect a light short like vegetation touching the wire, when this is detected it boost the current and kills the weed/plant.
most good units have two take offs, one is around 4kV and the other 10-12kV. Lucky for me our fence was set to 4kV when it decided I was a plant, it hurt like hell and on 12kV I cant begin to tell you just how much it can sting, but a commercial system I cant see causing death unless you have a medical problem.
I have seen bulls stopped in there tracks when very upset, but equally the same fence has had rabbits caught up in them overnight and they were fine when released. I think the key thing is to get a good fence tester and pay proper attention to the earth pole. Make sure the earth is 50' away from the unit and at least 15' from the fence line, I think most deaths must be from idiots putting a earth strand around the fence line next to the main line. NEVER do this, under no circumstances use a wire earth line.
The ground poles do the job and the risk of death is extremely low to both animals and people, but have a bare earth line next to the live line and touch both.............. its VERY unpleasant, I have tried at 4kV but I still dont think it would at 12kV, however I wouldnt try it for any amount of cash ;), oh and peeing on a fence does nothing thats a myth I have disproved many times :p

oh and peeing on a fence does nothing thats a myth I have disproved many times :p

Um... My brother would disagree but I still don't think he wants to talk about it even though it's been about 30 years now. .:oops:

Um... My brother would disagree but I still don't think he wants to talk about it even though it's been about 30 years now. .:oops:
I have heard this many times, but never once felt a thing. So seeing as I dont get a shock and some do, and myth busters disproved it as well I have the following theory.
I think its reasonable to assume that someone with high concentrations of salts etc in there pee would be able to conduct electric from the fence, I am 15 and dont drink, I also drink mostly water and pee alot. So maybe its more to do with the person than with anything else, I dont think I would want to pee on it first thing in the morning!
It would be a really cool experiment to see who got a shock and who didnt then test there pee with a TDS meter, its only a theory but I would think those with a high TDS reading might get a surprise! Also there are many variables like what your wearing and how well grounded etc, any volunteers for an experiment? we still have the energizer but it isnt being used at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back