Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help building LED Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricod306

Hi guys I need help building a transformerless LED driver.

I don't properly understand how IC's work. Neither how Pi filters, bridge diodes and so forth.

My spces are as follow:

I wish for the current to be dimable with a constant voltage of min 48V to a max of 55V and typical 50.8V per LED output. The max current is 5A and typical is 2.4A

The design can be in three ways.
1x LED support (48V-55V) (200W)
2x LED's support (96V-110V) (400W)
4x LED's support (192V-220V) (800W)

I would prefer a maximum or higher power dissipation by each LED of about 200W. I know this amount of power dissipated from a single LED is a lot but I have the required heatsinks in order to handle these wattage.
The LED I am using if necessary is the Luminus CXM-32-40-95-54-AC40-F5-3 gen 4 COB.

Please help me by designing a rough diagram for me. I have knowledge in using LtSpice to build diagrams.

Ahh sorry forgot to add the most important part it's 220V - 240V 50Hz but averaged at 230V 50Hz. Standard South African AC.

I went and did a little more research and saw that these COB's are more than capable of running at 240W so if it is possible I would really prefer it. I saw an IC that constantly regulates the current @ 5A but I wasn't sure how its voltage supply worked. I know some of these do this by calculating the voltage drop over the load and then compensating it accordingly but that is my basic knowledge, Like Vdd or Vss or PWM for DIM is acronyms I dont really understand. And the IC also required a DC voltage unlike some I've seen use AC and directly convert it do DC so there I also lack in knowledge like Pi filters and Diode Bridges....

That is too big for a transformerless supply to be economical. More importantly, it will need lots of circuitry to keep it safe. Additionally, if it uses the traditional circuit with a capacitor to limit the current, the power factor will be terrible, and the series capacitors will be physically large, maybe two of these:-
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/polypropylene-film-capacitors/1235097/

A little 5 W LED lamp can get away with a lot of things that a 500 W light can't. For instance, if a 10mm long, 8mm diameter capacitor is subjected to too much voltage because of a loose connection, and it explodes, the lamp casing will most likely contain the debris.

For a 500W light, you will need something like this:- https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-capacitors/1443464/ and you don't want to risk them being mistreated.

You would be far better and safer to buy something like:-

It would need tweaking to make it a constant current device, instead of a constant voltage one, but that is comparatively easy, and doesn't involve high power electronics. The power supply also comes with a 12 V fan supply, which you'll need for the LEDs.

Thank you for your reply, given the price for that 320W power supply I would rather then buy meanwell's HGD series drivers. They are just a bit expensive but given the complications I will require building such a power supply then I'd rather buy one than DIY it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back