Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need HELP driving my IGBT (Toshiba MG300Q1US)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chauncy2000

I have the IGBT below with no driver because I thought I could control with arduino, relay, and separate power supply.

I bought this device from eBay and it doesn’t turn off so I'm not sure if it’s toast or not either, but assume the best.

I need help selecting a simple driver and help with wiring because I’m pretty much a novice with electronics(built a few devices with arduinos).

I just need the IGBT switch to turn on a high voltage load for 0.2 second every few minutes. I want to control the IGBT/driver with my ardunio.

Below is a variation of the device. Mine has a 240-400 DC voltage coming from its ~60 mF capacitor bank. I'm trying to drive the current through a sample. My version doesnt have the inductor next to the sample (on the right of the schematic).

The purpose of the device is to dump the electricity into a sample (on the right of the schematic). Here is a video describing the power system but I'm using an IGBT instead of the SCR. Go to mark 28:47
Device_Variation.PNG
IGBTdatasheet.jpg
IGBTinBox.PNG

With gate connected to emitter, it should be off - if not, it's dead.

The gate can be damaged quite easily by excess voltage, which is why they are supplied with a bridging link fitted.

The gate drive needs to switch between 0V and around 15V, with a decent current drive capability - and amp or two minimum - as the gate capacitance is high, listed at 36nF in the datasheet.

For fastest possible turnoff, the gate needs to go negative briefly.

If you just need a pulse at intervals, a relay switching between 0V and 15V and connected to the gate via a low value (eg. 3.3 Ohms) resistor, should work.
The average 15V current will be low, but add a large electrolytic and a parallel 0.1uF or larger film cap, to supply the brief high current pulse.

Connect a rather higher value resistor, eg. 1K, directly between emitter and gate to avoid any possibility of static charge building up on it, and leave that permanently connected.

1681950472055.png
This is the test signal to get the results listed while cutoff is anything between 3 to 6V and lower, which rules out logic level drive. So you need a half bridge and a 15V supply, 0V or with -15V if you want the rated shutoff time of 1.8us max. with the above circuit.
The input impedance is shown as 42,000 pF or 42 nF nominal.

BTW your schematic has a few issues, so I understand if you were given that why you might be lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back