Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need an equation to figure out Power correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bree Bree

I try looking on internet and my school book. I'm having difficultly finishing a problem. The question is below: I only want the equation to get this going. I can do the rest on my own.

Based upon the power factor, determine the value of the capacitors needed in each case to bring the power factor to the following values. Be sure to show your calculations.
  1. Power Factor = 0.85
  2. Power Factor = 0.95
  3. Power Factor = 1.00

Welcome.
Hi Bree we need to know more info like voltage & current.
If you have a Pf of 1 then you wouldnt need any capacitance as your load must be non reactive.

Given: f = 1000 Hz, R = 680 Ω, L = 100 mH, Vrms = 5 V

Attachments

• Circuit.PNG
    Circuit.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 107
where you schould put the capacitor ?
in serie with L?
or parralel?
its value depends on where the capacitor is.

for power factor 1 and c in serie with L (if Power factor is 1, you only got ohm resistance)

Zc,l= j(wL-1/wC)=0, now you can calculate the C

first you calculate the Phase Phi with arccos(Power Factor).
Then you need the total Impedanz or Admittance (depends on where you put the C).
Then you can calculate with arctan(Phi)=Imaginary/Real

Last edited:
I try looking on internet and my school book. I'm having difficultly finishing a problem. The question is below: I only want the equation to get this going. I can do the rest on my own.

Based upon the power factor, determine the value of the capacitors needed in each case to bring the power factor to the following values. Be sure to show your calculations.
  1. Power Factor = 0.85
  2. Power Factor = 0.95
  3. Power Factor = 1.00

You don't need an equation, you need an understanding of what PF is. PF correction is the same a making a resonant circuit. Specifically, XL has to equal XC to get a PF of one. Given the inductive reactance, can you come up with a capacitor value to give an equal capacitive reactance at the same frequency?

Ratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back