Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a better dc 12V/3.5A regulated out from ac 12V/35W alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi dear all

I want to construct a circuit dc12v/35w from ac 12v/35w bike alternator 120hz .
Application -install new 35w hid light.
input float voltage 7-16V ac 120hz
expected output 12v /35w

i tried with full bridge and lm2575 switching regulator . but its failure . input voltage too high so its burned.
any help

lm2575 ....but its failure . input voltage too high so its burned.
It is a 40 volt part. It should not have burned because of high voltage.
It is a 1 Amp part and you want 3A. That is a problem.

Usually this part is used as a 'buck' so the output voltage is less than the input voltage. Example 16V in will output 12V. But it needs 2 volts drop to work. So Vin of 12V will output 10V. Vin=20-->Vout=12.

More information please. Schematic and photo will help.

I suspect he's trying to convert a direct lighting system - best option is to add a decent size battery and convert the lighting circuit to a charger.

Sam, where is the 120Hz in the circuit??? The alternator in the bike puts out a range of frequencies and voltages depending on engine speed...

Seems to me that you need to full-wave rectify the alternator to produce DC, use a huge electrolytic filter capacitor for filtering, and then either series-regulate, or shunt regulate to make ~14V DC.

Seems to me that you need to full-wave rectify the alternator to produce DC, use a huge electrolytic filter capacitor for filtering, and then either series-regulate, or shunt regulate to make ~14V DC.
Mostly agree. but....
The generator voltage is 7 to 16V. Many types of regulators can not take 7V and make 12V. Some can.
Probably when the generator is making 7V it can not make the 35W required. Maybe 3 watts.

Mostly agree. but....
The generator voltage is 7 to 16V. Many types of regulators can not take 7V and make 12V. Some can.
Probably when the generator is making 7V it can not make the 35W required. Maybe 3 watts.

As I said before, you need a decent size 12V battery, and convert the lighting circuit to charge it.

It's NOT an easy exercise (I thought long and hard about it years ago - as the lights on my DT-400 were pretty feeble), most practical way would probably be to rewind the generator coils - and there are numerous examples of that on-line.

Mostly agree. but....

Most don't care what happens when the bike is at idle. Once the engine is turning up at speed, the alternator puts out too much; that's when the regulation is needed.

My solution would be buy a motorcycle rectifier/regulator, but then again idk if that would work, as my motorcycles stator puts out 89VAC then converts it to 14VDC through the rectifier/regulator

Last edited:
Most don't care what happens when the bike is at idle. Once the engine is turning up at speed, the alternator puts out too much; that's when the regulation is needed.
small doubt ac 12V /120hz voltage convert to dc what is the maximum output voltage in different rectifier topology(half wave,full wave, bridge rectifier)

Its probably a shunt regulator with a perm magnet dynamo.

I suspect the '2576 fried due to noise.

You could build a filter from chokes/caps, or do as allready advised fit a battery.

Its probably a shunt regulator with a perm magnet dynamo.

I suspect the '2576 fried due to noise.

You could build a filter from chokes/caps, or do as allready advised fit a battery.
its ok need a 13.5V/ 3A regulator circuit for battery charging circuit
for online use of load current 12v 35W

If its a permanent magnet dynamo the o/p can end up 100s of volts without enough load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back