Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

National pet food recall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
This has been going on for about a month now, and doesn't seem to be even close to being resolved. Didn't pay much attention at first, as my dog died about 2 years ago now (old age), but seems like almost every brand pet food is contaminated. Must be tough feeding your pets, when what they are use to, is killing them.

Not sure if they have finally agreed on the source of the contaminate yet, seems like a lot of finger pointing (mostly the middle one). The manufacturers were blaming the Canadians for selling them the bad wheat product. Canada claims it was from China. Seems really odd that America would have to import any wheat product, as we are a major producing nation. If it could be bought much cheaper, wouldn't that kind of make you a little concerned about quality and safety?

Since this tainted wheat was passed around so much, somebody should have known it was bad for consumption and why. Haven't heard about any human related victims yet, so figured it must have been marked 'not for human consumption' somewhere along the line.

Seems like this must have been one huge lot, of non-food grade product, to effect such a large recall, and cause so many deaths. I can understand the large loss of somebody's investment, but where did greed over-ride the right thing to do (besides dumping back off on the Americans, where the origion problem likely began...).

How many of the people buying this cheap, useless, tainted wheat, knew it in advance, and just saw a quick profit. Who knew they were stuck with a large quantity of useless product, and decided to either find a new sucker, or use it anyway. Really can't believe knowbody knew about the poison, since it never made it into human food.

Regardless of the source, its the pet food companies that are to blame, not China, not Canada. I'm positive there would have been some testing done, before their products were packaged and shipped, or even prior to purchase of the ingredient. Maybe they figured if they dilueted it enough, the effects would be hardly noticable.

Anyway, hope anybody who looses a pet over this, sues the hell out of the people responsiable. Really need to make a historical level statement on this issue. Damn lucky they don't pull something like this with human food, and need to make sure nobody even thinks it.

what ticks me off is that all this pet food is made by the same company. some of these are 'generic' and some are megabucks brands, and they're all the same food inside the bag! come on, how is that not a lawsuit in its own right, the FTC and SEC should be looking into it.

Free market.

All the products are not the same.

justDIY said:
what ticks me off is that all this pet food is made by the same company. some of these are 'generic' and some are megabucks brands, and they're all the same food inside the bag! come on, how is that not a lawsuit in its own right, the FTC and SEC should be looking into it.

All the products are not the same. Different formulations are used as specified by the contracting company.

It is common in many (maybe most) industries to contract a 3rd party to do production. Esp food and electronics including PC's.

In the US and we were used to a safe food supply. IMHO it is a thing of the past. If you check the food labels at your local food store you will find that the open trade policy has put food from all over the world on the shelves. The cheapest bidder puts the food on the shelf. The ingredients used by fast food chains is even more suspect.

It is much cheaper to produce foods where no health or safety regulations exist. This stuff may not make you noticeably ill but it may effect you overall health.

I'm sure there are several different formulas, but in many case the generic/store brand is the exact same product as the name brand, just a different label. It's a marketing scheme, even if it was well know and published that there is no difference between name brand and a generic, most people will buy the heavily advertised and higher priced name brand.

Anyway, the thing that gets me, is the risks must have been well know, and this bad wheat product just got passed around, until someone decided to use it. Are so many companies this desperate to turn a profit to take such risks? How accountable should these people be? If humans were to die, there would be serious criminal charges, perhaps even murder, if they knew people would die.

If humans were to die, there would be serious criminal charges, perhaps even murder, if they knew people would die.
Is there anything on a can of dog food that says it's not fit for human consumption? If not, you could eat a can, get sick, then sue. Don't die, that'll make it harder to go to court. If they say, "But it clearly says 'dog food' on the container," you could just argue, "But I thought that meant made with real dogs!" I mean, there's no "dog" in hot dogs, is there? Oh. My. God. Is there?!

I'm glad I'm a vegetarian. Of course, I didn't know until now I had to worry about bad wheat!

Last edited:
Hank Fletcher said:
Is there anything on a can of dog food that says it's not fit for human consumption? If not, you could eat a can, get sick, then sue. Don't die, that'll make it harder to go to court. If they say, "But it clearly says 'dog food' on the container," you could just argue, "But I thought that meant made with real dogs!" I mean, there's no "dog" in hot dogs, is there? Oh. My. God. Is there?!

haha, yes, you don't want to die, you want to get permanently and grossly disfigured or otherwise incapacitated. it'll really up your likelihood of a huge cash settlement or even bigger award if it goes before a jury.

I'd guess they'd make a quick cash settlement to avoid publicity.

The list just keeps getting longer on the news. Is there just one company making all brands of pet food? I'm guess anybody owning stock in any other pet food company is really making $$$ on this thing. Noticed the brand my dog eat is on the list. He died almost two years ago, and had been looking for another one. Kind of glad I waited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back