Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Petrol to lpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
How difficult is it to convert a small petrol engine to gas? Small as in around 5hp.

I know cars can run on both, and I am aware you can get kits for this, but how much work would be involved in converting a small engine? Actually its not propane or LPG, I have another gas in mind.

The google stuff I found is mostly based on cars, what i am not sure about is single cylinder engines and conversion.

It depends on what type of engine and carburetor yo have.

For an engine with an independent carburetor the simplest is to just drill out the main jet to a larger diameter and remove the float and needle valve.

For a B&S engine with the carb on the tank remove the tank and drill out and thread the suction tube passage to fit a 1/8" NPT hos barb and then drill out the main metering jet above it.

As for a regulator a cheap cheat is to do as others said and take the loading spring out of a BBQ grill regulator so it takes a tiny bit of vacuum to get it to open all the way.

The rest is just a matter of drilling the main jet to the right diameter and then fiddling with the main jet mixture screw to get the engine to run right on whatever gas you have.

Which member was working on de sulphating batteries? I have 6 12V large car ones, They dont hold a charge well so I was looking to see if I could get them working a bit better.

Don't bother. Millions of people have tried and the success rate is so dismally low that it's not worth the time and money spent for what you may get for short term gains only to have a still highly questionable and overall weak battery in the end.

For every person who claims they got a good battery (lasted more than a week to several months) from desulfating a bad one they don't tell you they failed to recover and fought with 20 - 50+ others to find it!

It depends on what type of engine and carburetor yo have.

For an engine with an independent carburetor the simplest is to just drill out the main jet to a larger diameter and remove the float and needle valve.

For a B&S engine with the carb on the tank remove the tank and drill out and thread the suction tube passage to fit a 1/8" NPT hos barb and then drill out the main metering jet above it.

As for a regulator a cheap cheat is to do as others said and take the loading spring out of a BBQ grill regulator so it takes a tiny bit of vacuum to get it to open all the way.

The rest is just a matter of drilling the main jet to the right diameter and then fiddling with the main jet mixture screw to get the engine to run right on whatever gas you have.

Don't bother. Millions of people have tried and the success rate is so dismally low that it's not worth the time and money spent for what you may get for short term gains only to have a still highly questionable and overall weak battery in the end.

For every person who claims they got a good battery (lasted more than a week to several months) from desulfating a bad one they don't tell you they failed to recover and fought with 20 - 50+ others to find it!
I cant remember who it was, but I was sure one of the long time members here got good results. Thinking back, the last I heard he had done a huge amount of work on it.

All I remember now was his profile said from the Caribbean. Dosnt matter I can use the plates in the batteries for something.

Hi LG,
I think the person you are thinking of is "Mosaic"

Les.
Thanks Les! Yep it was Mosaic, from memory he has worked on this for years!!!! Last post I remember had some pretty positive results, but I dont remember much now about it. I am going to stalk him and see what he has been upto.

If he is inte caribbean odds are he has the simple advantage of whatever junk batteries he gets a hold of having never been frozen which would leave more of the plates intact and thusly give him a statistical advantage on recovering more batteries than someone like me that has the deal with the possibility of a dead battery having been frozen and thawed one or more times first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back