Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Name this component!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was at grammer school during a physics lesson, the teacher produced a nice locked wooden box, when he unlocked it it was thickly lined with lead inside, and it had to be kept locked away for safety reasons as it contained a radium sample.

We checked it with a geiger counter, then we checked all the luminous wrist watches worn by the various class members, every single one was many times more radioactive than the highly secured sample of radium!.

The mention of Lancaster bombers reminded me!, the poor people who painted the dials in the aircraft with luminous paint mostly died horribly of cancer!.

How about a X-Ray dosimeter sensor? Or just a mosfet radiation sensor with a built in background source?

( edit ...re Nigel's post above... and so did all those poor people who did the watch dials )

Hi Tech is correct!
It's the ionisation detector module from a smoke detector. No chamber as such on this one, the current flows between the souce foil (connected to the gate of the mosfet) and thr wire loop in front of it.
All relevant safety precautions were taken with this item. The weak Gamma from Am241 is not much of a problem, but Am241 is considered highly radiotoxic as it is strong Alpha emitter and is retained in the body if absorbed.
Note that in the USA it is a federal offence to tamper with the source in a smoke detector, thechnically it's even an offene to use an intact detector as a test source as this is not it's intended use. This one is modern and fairly week at <15KBq or 0.4 microcuries. I have a number of test sources running up to 100uCi that are unregulated. I also have an item containing more than 10 Curies of radioactive gas.
Not all of the radium dial painters died as a result of exposure, one just celebrated her 100th birthday. The instruments can be very "hot" though, with several microcuries of Radium 226. This gives of Radon gas which in turn changes into a sequence of radioactive metals including lead and Bismuth. If you breathe it in you can get a large lung dose. If you have any, don't keep them in the house!

Robert G8RPI.

So what you are essentially telling some of us is not to eat smoke detectors for a snack? ;)

OK, I'll post an easier one:

Attachments

• IMAGE.JPG
    IMAGE.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 200
HiTech,
It looks like a Duo-Diode pack.

U R correct!:D

What is this component?

Attachments

• P-DSC-0099-2.gif
    P-DSC-0099-2.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 172
Correct 'o mundo! thermal fuses or sometimes referred to as thermal cutoffs .

OK, my turn again.

What is this?

Attachments

• What is it 3.JPG
    What is it 3.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 179
fuel injector of some sort? Neoprene O-ring, knurled collar used as compression fitting and the body twist-locks in place or is held by a twist-lock ring. That's my guess.

mramos1 said:
A dummy load or terminator?

A kind of "mass"/load was my first idea, too - but the design is too strange for that.
Either it's something used in high-energy electronics or as HiTech guessed, fluidcontrol.

Sorry guys, you are all way off.
JimB

It's one of those connectors that come in a bag of junk from a rally. You've only ever seen one, and will never see another the same.

It did come to me in a box of junk, (free), and I have seen them before, that is how I know what it is.
JimB

Is it something out of a fluorescent light setup?

push-n-lok power cord connector. self sealing, non arcing, not for interupting current.

that's my story and I'm sticking to it, LOL.

edit - and I forgot, intrinsicly safe also.

temp sensor? or pressue sensor think its pressure sensor..

Industrial use anyway.. not automotive

Tks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back