Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Name this component!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

OK maybe we can have a little bit of fun while learning something new as well. I'll start by posting a picture of a component and you guess what it is.

Attachments

• device.jpg
    device.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 325
I name this component George, may God bless it and all the electrons which flow through it!

[frivolous mode /off]

I think it may be a large mercury wetted relay.

JimB

This is like being on a gameshow.

I will go with a fuel selonoid.

If JimB is right, what is the current rating on it?

Now it looks like a coil around the shaft, so probably a relay.

Can you take a closed picture of the sticker and post that (one we can read)? I tried to cheat, did not find it.. There is an MDI industries in NJ. No luck.

JimB is correct, 30A is the rating. Nice product too.

Used to use MDI relays and contactors, but now every government buyer "freaks" if you tell them that there is mercury in the product.

zevon8 said:
JimB is correct, 30A is the rating. Nice product too.

Used to use MDI relays and contactors, but now every government buyer "freaks" if you tell them that there is mercury in the product.
GOOD JOB JIMB.. Is hi-tech keeping score??

So if they leak, someone might die (if they lick it).. Or getting rid of them when they wear out in 100 years... Wait. I will not be here.. OK order some more.

I like the 30 AMPS though... Zevon8, what are you switching with them?? Should I call the EPA? ;)

EDIT: Sorry, just saw you were in Toronto.. Hey maybe Electro will give Hi-tech his own category .:p.

Last edited:
JimB wins a pat on the back and an "atta boy"! Correct, it's a mercury wetted relay. I found one in a box of heavy duty relays last week ("Goldmine In the Trash" thread).

Now, what are these electronic components? (

**broken link removed**

Look like Nuvistors to me.

A nuvistor is a thermionic valve intended as a low noise amplifier for use at VHF/UHF. Sometimes found in the front end of oscilloscopes and wideband amplifiers for things like frequency counters.
(We are talking 1960s technology here).

JimB

Jim, you gotta give the others a fighting chance here!;)
OK that's two "atta boys" and a high five! They were also employed in many television tuners back then.

Now let's hope someone else posts of pic of an oddball component.

OK it looks as though I should take up the role of quizmaster for a couple of pics.

Try this, the blue tape is to cover up the part number.
Otherwise Google would have the answer in no time.

JimB

Attachments

• What is it 1.JPG
    What is it 1.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 259
well, whatever it is, it resides in an octal base of sorts!

HiTech said:
well, whatever it is, it resides in an octal base of sorts!
And you can open the lid and access the insides.

OK, way out there... Rectifier tube for an amp?

Yes it is on an "International Octal" base, as distict from a "Mazda octal" base.

No you cannot open it, at least not if you want it to keep on working.

No it is not a rectifier valve (OK, tube, if you must!).

Edit: not hydraulic or pneumatic valve.

JimB

JimB said:
Yes it is on an "International Octal" base, as distict from a "Mazda octal" base.

If you peel that blue tape off there will be a number underneath, no need to ask here! :p

Presumably it's a valve (tube!) of some type?, as it's got a pipe on the bottom and a strange 'shroud' perhaps it's water cooled? - so perhaps a transmitter valve?.

A valve (tube), yes, but it is not water cooled.
It is only about 2.5 inches long (in old money).

JimB

Not a fuel pump, no fluids are involved.
It is purely an electronic device.

JimB

Is it man-made from this planet?

OIL cooled? 2.5" wow.. Is it from an old fashion radio or x-ray machine?

(JimB digging in old boxes in the garage for his next stump the crowd OR
maybe a UFO did crash in his back yard; old UFO.) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back