Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Name this component!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is man made and from this planet.
Oil? I said earlier that no fluids were involved.

Old fashioned radio and x-ray machines? Possibly going in the right direction.

JimB

Yes! Ron H you are the man!

It is a KS9-20, or 723A/B Klystron, output power about 10mW and the frequency is tunable between about 9 and 10 Ghz.

Look here http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0552.htm for more information.

JimB

JimB said:
Yes! Ron H you are the man!

It is a KS9-20, or 723A/B Klystron, output power about 10mW and the frequency is tunable between about 9 and 10 Ghz.

Look here http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0552.htm for more information.

JimB
I have to admit I cheated. I Googled "Mullard museum", but before I found one, I found **broken link removed**. Look in the lower right-hand corner. It's made by Telefunken, and it's the same part number.

Ron H said:
I have to admit I cheated. I Googled "Mullard museum", but before I found one, I found **broken link removed**. Look in the lower right-hand corner. It's made by Telefunken, and it's the same part number.

You still win Ron, becuase I too tried to cheated and spent like 20 minutes looking at old tubes in a museum. Lots of old radios and weird tubes back then. That is why I through out x-ray and radio. hehehe..

But did not see that one for sure..

Wonder if you tune it with that tube stucking out of it. :p

That must have been an absolute nightmare to keep mechanical & cavity alignment with the waveguide. I wonder how they dealt with thermal expansion?

Gives new meaning to the practice of "letting things warm up" before using them.

The output was coupled to the waveguide by the "pipe" coming out of the mounting base.
The pipe is effectively a coax cable, if you look at the end you will see the last 8mm or so is the polythene dielectric with a centre core. This bit poked into the waveguide to couple the output from the klystron.

When I last played with one of these, they did drift about a bit compared with a Gunn diode.

JimB

Dag nabbit! Can't believe I got caught on that one... totally skipped past me. When it comes to Klystrons, I'm used to seeing these kinds inside the tower headends:

now THIS is a Klystron!
**broken link removed**

BTW, JimB posted a pic of a "reflex" Klystron and the threaded rod is adjustable to move it's reflector.

What in all of God's creation is this electronic contraption?

**broken link removed**

I think I know what this is, but I will hold off for a while to give others a chance.

But first a few questions.
Is the bit in the left just a smaller version of the bit in the middle?
Does the bit in the middle fi t into the can on the right?
Is the can filled with some kind of fluid?

JimB

its a klystron
no,sorry,I skipped a couple of pages. That was the klystron that Ron identified. Its a microwave oscillator. The tube on the base is the output coupling probe. You tune it by turning the nut at the top and squeezing the cavity

Last edited:
go ahead and say the answer if you know it. JimB you are right on the money w/ your thinking.

HiTech said:
go ahead and say the answer if you know it. JimB you are right on the money w/ your thinking.

OK, I'll post the same answer I PM'ed to you (and to JimB accidentally):

It's a combo bug zapper and hair spray.

Actually, it's a dummy load and wattmeter.

And I never saw one before - I just sleuthed it.
EDIT: There is no wattmeter. It's just a **broken link removed**. That box at the bottom of the page is apparently the wattmeter.

Last edited:
Yes, the one on the left is just an RF dummy load as far as I can tell.
The bit in the middle appears to have a few components fitted to make an RF power meter. The middle bit will fit into the can on the right, which is filled with oil to cool the resistor and dissipate the power.

Interesting, did you build it?

JimB

Note to self: copy picture to my computer, then repost, thus not leaving trail to origin of picture.

/sarcasm off, LOL

zevon8 said:
Note to self: copy picture to my computer, then repost, thus not leaving trail to origin of picture.

/sarcasm off, LOL
Yep, I would do the same thing. :)

I thought of doing that prior to posting the pic, but I trusted you guys here!!!!!!:eek:

JimB. I didn't build that. Mine looks like a clone to the Heath Cantenna and has markings in English!.

Try this one:

Attachments

• IMAG0002.JPG
    IMAG0002.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 171
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back