Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Variac setup keeps tripping the breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob

I am building a tesla coil and was testing out the Neon transformers in the garage, but when I powered on my variac the indicator light didn't turn on. I then switched to another outlet.. the same. I didn't even have the variac on and I checked for shorts, but couldn't find anything. I guess I blew the breaker to the garage because I ran an extension cord from an inside outlet and it worked.
Any suggestions on why this might be a problem or how I can include an inductor or something to slowly build up the current so it's not constantly going off?

Not enough details...
What voltage rating is the Variac. What is the wll AC voltage? Is the variac wired by you, or does it have a "standard" plug? How is the output wired?
Any mis-wiring will cause a breaker to trip....

Not enough details...
What voltage rating is the Variac. What is the wll AC voltage? Is the variac wired by you, or does it have a "standard" plug? How is the output wired?
Any mis-wiring will cause a breaker to trip....
It is a 2000 volt 20 amp fuse variac. The wall input is 120 vac, The cord from the wall to the variac is the cord that is attached to the variac. I have a heavey duty cord from an old microwave oven about 3 ft long grd, hot, and neutral. I connected the grd to grd on NST, the hot and neutral to the ac inputs on the NST. Another piece of information is after reseting the breaker the variac was working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back