Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MY MOUSE BEEPS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your modem is probably reporting port speed (DTE), not line speed (DCE) (ie, the data rate between the modem and the computer, not between modem and phone line)

thanks a lot for bursting my bubble phasor! :lol: . Well I guess my thinking that things were going faster was all in my imagination :roll:

ohh fogot to tell you that my ADSL modem beeps realy high pitch but i have to put my ear on it to hear it.Meaby its some inductors vibrating iron components.

Someone Electro said:
ohh fogot to tell you that my ADSL modem beeps realy high pitch but i have to put my ear on it to hear it.Meaby its some inductors vibrating iron components.

thats what i was thinking electro. although the inductors in there are very small, not meant for frequencies in the hearing range. Ah well, frget about it :roll: [/quote]

Here is an excerpt about capacitor microphonics from **broken link removed** I found.
Of much less concern, yet still important especially in audio applications, is the microphonic or piezoelectric effect. Barium titanate, which is the base ceramic material for most dielectric systems, will exhibit microphonic effects, while tantalum capacitors exhibit no microphonic effects. An internal experiment involved the opposite phenomena, whereby the part was shaken while under bias and the resulting generated voltage was measured. It was performed on a series of 1µF devices. While this experiment does not give an empirical number, the resulting relative voltage generation tells the story. This experiment confirms that the higher the K of the ceramic capacitor, the worse the microphonic effect becomes.
I know for a fact that the piezoelectric effect in capacitors can also create sound. I once made a multivibrator that "sang". I tracked it down to an old disc capacitor.
I obviously don't know if this is the cause of your mouse squeak, but it's a possibility.

Yea the freqencys may not be in the hearing range but these freqencys cod go on and off at 10kHz making an audio tone (by serialy transmiting data)

i may be the mouse sending data by ultrasonic and there may be a flaw
so you can here it.

nope, its definetaly not ultrasonic. Its radio.

Oh yeah, I checked my cousin's mouse and his does it too. Same exact model.

My mice or Logitechs. Mx700 Wireless LED on my old computer. Mx1000 Laser mouse on the newer computer.
Neither mouse 'beeps' but on the newer computer (a Dell, 2 years old), if you plug in headphones to the front headphone jack, you can hear little low pitches squeeks every time you move something on screen (scrolling a page or moving the pointer). Has nothing to do with the mouse though...probably a glitch with the front headphone jack attachment on the computer.
~Mike

zachtheterrible said:
jrz, i think you might be right ... time to take it to the bench :lol:

It only happens when I scroll, or move the mouse. Its a wireless mouse BTW, not that that should make any difference, or should it? The sound is high pitched, maybe at around 9-11khz or so.

Thanks D.J., totally homebrew :lol: I just switched to linux, and I'm fed up with windows. Im using the knoppix live-cd distro and installed it to my HD. Although im still stuck w/ windows when it comes to internet because I need a linux compatible modem. should be getting it any day, i ordered one off ebay.

i had a sears garage door opener button that used to beep whenever the button was pushed
and my mom has a wireless mouse

ill check it out

MrMikey83 said:
My mice or Logitechs. Mx700 Wireless LED on my old computer. Mx1000 Laser mouse on the newer computer.
Neither mouse 'beeps' but on the newer computer (a Dell, 2 years old), if you plug in headphones to the front headphone jack, you can hear little low pitches squeeks every time you move something on screen (scrolling a page or moving the pointer). Has nothing to do with the mouse though...probably a glitch with the front headphone jack attachment on the computer.
~Mike
No, I think it IS the mouse, or actually, the mouse's Receiver/Transmitter part that is connected to the PC. I have a Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse and the speakers exhibit curious sounds sometimes, until I move away the Rx/Tx... Interference, bc wireless devices use radio, i think... This comes to the root problem: maybe zach's mouse is (by mistake or i dunno y) designed to operate at a hearable frequency :? ... Beeping after seconds of the command could be handshaking or so...

And about the Linux/Slow Speed problem, I think Linux is WAY faster than Windows. I have both on the same PC, and I have worked out the difference... Linux, thought it takes quite some time to load is faster. I have mandrake 10.0. Word of advice: if u want many OS's on same PC, and have multiple HDD's, USE'EM! Loading many OS on same HDD (different partitions, of course) slows down the system, specially windows'. But if you have different physical HDD's, instead of having a boot-software that chooses b/w OS's (which is what is slowing the PC), you can choose from the BIOS which HDD to boot from, that way you'll have multi-OS, and NO slow-down tradeoff whatsoever 8) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back