Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MY MOUSE BEEPS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

Im not losing my mind, my mouse does beep! Only very very quietly, I have to hold it up to my ear to hear it, and even then it is very hard to hear. but WHY!?

My best guess is that it can be used to troubleshoot it or something? Or maybe microsoft, who made my mouse, is giving in to the film industry, where all electronic devices are always beeping, whether its a computer, a bugging device or a satellite, even though in real life it would be pointless. Like a computer, how annoying would it be to have the computer beep each time you open a new window?

Well Zach there is only one thing to do....take it apart and figure out whats causing the beep :D

And my microsoft mouse does not beep :lol:

jrz, i think you might be right ... time to take it to the bench :lol:

It only happens when I scroll, or move the mouse. Its a wireless mouse BTW, not that that should make any difference, or should it? The sound is high pitched, maybe at around 9-11khz or so.

Thanks D.J., totally homebrew :lol: I just switched to linux, and I'm fed up with windows. Im using the knoppix live-cd distro and installed it to my HD. Although im still stuck w/ windows when it comes to internet because I need a linux compatible modem. should be getting it any day, i ordered one off ebay.

I used Linux for about six months. It was great, I could leave the thing run for a month without it crashing. :p

Although the hardware for my computer was already set up for windows and their where a few programs that I really needed to use that weren't compatable with Linux :cry: So I ended up having to go back to windows.

Whats version of Linux are you running :?:

Good choice, Linux is much cheaper and better than bills stuff :lol:

Maybe your Mouse has been bugged by the government, or maybe there is a real mouse inside, or maybe the noise you hear is something to do with the signal that is sent to detect movement of the mouse (Did you say it uses an infra red sensor?) :?: :wink:

Robotic Misinfo

maybe this is a sign of karma from microsoft for posting that avatar??

If it's not a mechanical issue, then i can almost guarantee you that you will just have to live with it. Since when did microsoft start making mouses with speakers/piezo's in them??

Hey D.J. I'm running knoppix 3.9, the live CD version. I installed it to my HD though and am loving it. I can't wait to get my modem because I've heard it rumored that dialup is faster on linux (and i believe it).
Did you ever try the wine emulator? or xine for games? I have dual boot on my computer, so just in case I can't run something on linux, i still have the option to boot to windoze.

Hey there roboticmisinfo, nice to have ya aboard :lol: . I read on another thread that you're a girl? Wow, never thought I'd see the day that a girl has a genuine interest in electronics. What part of electronics are you interested in anyway?
haa haa, yeah maybe there is a real mouse in there! It just has the red LED under it to detect the movement.

Pike, I do believe that it is a piezo buzzer.

Ill take it apart later today and let y'all know whats goin on

Hmm. Yes I'm a girl. A big girl. Anyway, I'm not into robotics, but I would like to learn. Just know a bit of basic electronics from college. I designed an anemometer (measures wind speed) I'll find the croc clips diagrams and get them posted - I'm sure you guys will be able improve it!

Mike, er I mean Michelle!

Hmm. Yes I'm a girl. A big girl. Anyway, I'm not into robotics, but I would like to learn. Just know a bit of basic electronics from college. I designed an anemometer (measures wind speed) I'll find the croc clips diagrams and get them posted - I'm sure you guys will be able improve it!

Mike, er I mean Michelle!

Hey Zachtheterrible,

I was using Mandrake Linux 8.2. It was pretty nice.

Ya, I had the partitions set up so that I could also run windows on my machine. Although my computer was about four or five years old and verry slow. So I ended up just using windows.

My dad says that most computer's hardware are already set up to run windows and that's why Linux ran sortuv slow.

Good luck on your mouse problem :)

D.J.

Hey misinfo :lol: . I'd think you have more than just a basic understanding of electronics if you designed an anenometer! Nice to meet you btw.

Hey D.J. linux ran slow? I'm no linux expert or anything, but im sure the reason it ran slow was simply because your computer was slow like you said. In fact I know of a guy that has a pentium II computer and runs linux just fine!

My mouse is no problem or anything, in fact I can't even hear it unless I press it to my ear, I was just curious if anyone knew WHY.

Had something odd like this a while ago..

After a defrag of the hard drive my mouse developed a case of flatulance for every time i moved the mouse i would get a series of low pitched "blips" issue forth from the speakers.

Zachtheterrible,

Exactly my computer is very slow and running two opperating systems off a 19 Gbyte hardrive didn't help.

Windows could run a couple of programs that I really needed so I stuck with, for the time being.

Ya Linux is very fast although the start up and shut down takes very very long.

Maybe the beep is some kind of accessible option so you know that your mouse has just moved, or something :roll:

D.J.

Well I took it apart and couldn't trace down the beep. I saw nothing that even resembled a piezo buzzer. My best guess is that there is some component that is being "rattled" by an AC in the mouse or something :roll:

All of you who are reading this, try pressing the mouse right up against your ear and scrolling, or pushing buttons, or moving the mouse around. It will only beep when i push a button, scroll, or move it around.

i am ABSOLUTELY sure that it is coming from my mouse and not speakers because i took it down to the garage and heard it there too. and i ONLY hear it when it is pressed right up against my ear. yea, i heard it too when i took it apart.

yes, the sound is high pitched, like 9-11khz. it is NOT, I REPEAT NOT coming from clicking. I can hear it for 1/2 second after i click a button.

IM NOT IMAGINING THINGS

hmmmmm, my cousin has the same mouse, ill have to call him and see if he hears beeping. kind of forgot about that.

If its a wireles mouse then this cod be asociated whith some sort of comunicatin.Meaby its using ultrasonic to comunicate but i dont think so.

Since it only beeps wen you do somting whith it.That must be sound made wen the mouse comunicates whith the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back