Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My garage door hacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
audioguru said:
Do "Private Investigators" also copy people's credit card numbers and their PIN numbers? Bank records?

In my neighbourhood in winter they don't bother using electronics to open garage doors to steal cars. They just get in one of the many cars being warmed up every morning in a driveway without the driver in them, and drive away.

What do you think? If your stupid enought to have that type of info laying around, alot of people would. Its not used to steal but to get information.
It works, I have opened a couple parking gates and gated communities. just need more distance.

Since you don't have location info, it's hard to say but in the US, adding an antenna correctly will result in increase radiated power and could well fall outside the FCC rules.

I'm sure that possessing such a device isn't illegal but opening gates and such probably is.

But more importantly, you fail to understand the moral issue here. Just because some one isn't looking doesn't make it right. Just because people don't take prudent precautions doesn't doesn't justify theft. Opening a private community gate is the same as opening some one's door. Frankly, I doubt your motives here. I sure hope no one helps you.

philba said:
Since you don't have location info, it's hard to say but in the US, adding an antenna correctly will result in increase radiated power and could well fall outside the FCC rules.

I'm sure that possessing such a device isn't illegal but opening gates and such probably is.

But more importantly, you fail to understand the moral issue here. Just because some one isn't looking doesn't make it right. Just because people don't take prudent precautions doesn't doesn't justify theft. Opening a private community gate is the same as opening some one's door. Frankly, I doubt your motives here. I sure hope no one helps you.

MORALS!! I do an average of about 3 workers comp cases in Ca.a week and 99% of thos cases are Fraud!! what about that moral issue? if this can help me get the info i am looking for and help the people of ca. by proving that the claim is fraud why not? as I type iam working a case (wireless internet in van) this lady like many others is claiming back injury, and claiming 100% pay and benifiets from the city. I have about 10 min. of video of her doing everything she states she cannot. dont get me started on the moral B.S. until you see the **** i see every day hear in california.

Americans who cheat Workmen's Compensation should be shot by the firing squad. Even women. Doesn't California have a firing squad? If no firing squad then can you get a motorcycle gang or a bunch of Mexicans to go after them?
Oh. The cheaters are all Mexican motorcycle gang members?:D

moral relativism is just plain ugly. the lesser of two evils is still evil. since they are committing fraud, it's ok for you to break the law. you are symptomatic of what is wrong with our society.

you can live your life anyway you want but if you messed with me, I'd have your ass in court so fast it would make your head spin. I hate our litigious society but sometimes it works for the good guys and, unfortunately, that's the only thing creeps like you understand.

Let me guess, you think pretexting is ok, too.

I repeat, I hope no one helps you.

audioguru said:
Americans who cheat Workmen's Compensation should be shot by the firing squad. Even women. Doesn't California have a firing squad? If no firing squad then can you get a motorcycle gang or a bunch of Mexicans to go after them?
Oh. The cheaters are all Mexican motorcycle gang members?:D

You are correct on the first part, but they dont have motorcycles, they drive Cadillac SUV with all the cash they scam.

Workers in the government also drive Cadillac SUV's with all the cash they scam.
There aren't any private investigators going after them.

philba said:
moral relativism is just plain ugly. the lesser of two evils is still evil. since they are committing fraud, it's ok for you to break the law. you are symptomatic of what is wrong with our society.

you can live your life anyway you want but if you messed with me, I'd have your ass in court so fast it would make your head spin. I hate our litigious society but sometimes it works for the good guys and, unfortunately, that's the only thing creeps like you understand.

Let me guess, you think pretexting is ok, too.

I repeat, I hope no one helps you.

Yes I pretext, and its not against the law.
Iam not trying to be an ass or piss you off, but are you a mexican with a claim?

hmmm, racist, too. I thought we didn't do racism on this board.

Odd, I thought that was the reason why several HP employees, including the ex-chairman of the board have had charges filed against them over the use of pretexting. In California. If it ain't illegal, it ought to be. Calling up and pretending to be some one else to steal their information is, well, stealing.

Am I the only one that thinks what this guy is doing is completely scummy?

edit: nigel, I wouldn't be heartbroken if this thread went away...

Last edited:
Usually the law says that a person is innocent until proven guilty.
Here is a private investigator who "breaks into" garages and photographs people doing things they claim that they can't. Maybe he manipulates the photos so it "looks" like the person who is making the claim on the insurance, then the PI gets his bounty pay.
It is in California, a few miles from Mexico so maybe there is some racism also going on.

In Canada, the cops spotted a black dude in an expensive Mercedes. They thought he stole it, caught him and arrested him. Just to make sure he got locked up for many years, the cops planted some narcotics on him.
He is a Lawyer and he really went after those bad cops!

philba said:
hmmm, racist, too. I thought we didn't do racism on this board.

Odd, I thought that was the reason why several HP employees, including the ex-chairman of the board have had charges filed against them over the use of pretexting. In California. If it ain't illegal, it ought to be. Calling up and pretending to be some one else to steal their information is, well, stealing.

Am I the only one that thinks what this guy is doing is completely scummy?

Thats not the type of pretext I do, I only find out if my subject is home and if they live at that address, thats all. I am not trying to get into a pissing match with you, I just happened to find this site and after viewing it found that preaty much all that belong are honest people. I am only trying to make my job a little easier and fun. I am sorry if i pissed you off and i am not racist, my wife is from thailand and most of my friend an co worker are from another race. if you people dont want to help, thats ok have it removed and once again sorry bud if I pissed you off.

I wasn't too concerned about you using the device, as I'm sure you have other means of getting the job done. What worried me is that if this device were to function very well, and the schematic is availiable to thieves, there would be a lot of problems because of it. It would make robbing a house too easy.

Anyway, the 5 volt regulator is for the 74xx logic chips, which generally like 5 volts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back