Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multiple 7-segment displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm, this seems like even if it can be done, it will be beyond my abilities to put it together, or it will take up a ton of protoboard space, or require special parts, i will see if it is acceptable to display the score in binary :S

Perhaps you are right. Binary, decimal, hex or any other count system is going to be difficult, since you are asking for decision-making capability.

Short of microprocessor, I know of no single chip that can accomplish this.

Yeah, as I thought.

Huge thanks to ericgibbs, AllVol and mkh for their time.

Last edited:
Hi,
Recapping so we get the terminology right.

The BCD counter value is parallel loaded into the 'score' shift register.

On each clock pulse the 'score' reg is shifted right, on the same clock pulse the 'high score' shift register shifts right.

A bit by bit compare of the two shift registers is made.

If the 'score' reg is > 'high score' reg then load 'score'reg into 'high score' reg [ the 'score' reg is empty ]

Display 'score' and 'hiscore' on 7 seg LED's

Suggestion:

If not already so, make the 'counter' a two decade [8 bit] also the 'score' shift reg 8 bit and the 'high score' reg 8 bit.

When its time, parallel transfer the 'counter' 8 bits into the 'score' shift reg.

Apply 8 clock shift right pulses to both shift regs, do your bit compare at the output of both regs.
Loop back on both SR's, so you don't lose the values.

If the bit by bit compare indicates that 'score' > 'high score' then select the data source to the 'hiscore' SR as the ouput of the 'score' SR clock both SR's [8 clks], so the 'score' data is clocked into the 'hiscore' SR.
else
no change
endif

The SR's types marked with *** are the functions you need to emulate in your logic.

I know that you don't want to use a PIC, but it would be ideal for this application.

This way of doing it is just PT.

Refer to attached dwg.

Eric

Last edited:
hmmm, I will see if there is an 8-bit counter hanging around, thanks :)

Yeah, the diagram is basically what I thought (bar the output).

ericgibbs said:
Hi,
If the bit by bit compare indicates that 'score' > 'high score' then select the data source to the 'hiscore' SR as the ouput of the 'score' SR clock both SR's [8 clks], so the 'score' data is clocked into the 'hiscore' SR.
else
no change
endif

This is where I kept running into a snag. How you gonna compare bit for bit to determine anything? As I see it, you would only get a true reply if all bits are the same (all on, all off, any exact combination). For a true comparison, one would have to perform a summing operation, i.e. if sumx>sumy then y=x else y=y. I know of no single chip that will do this short of a mpu; however, I suppose one might devise a circuit using a quad op amp in summing mode, but that's a bit beyond me.

hi allvol,

Check out the 74LS85, 4 bit mag comp.

Used them in some projects, work fine.

Regards
Eric

ico2 said:
Hi,
I spent a while googling and then searching these forums for how to do this and couldnt find anything.

I have a 7-bit binary number in a shift register and I want to display this number on a pair of 7-segment displays?

I do not yet know how to use microcontrollers, so using one in this project is not realistic.

Thanks
Short of using a programmable part, your best bet is a magnitude comparator feeding an adder and a subtracter feeding BCD decoder drivers.

If you use a magnitude comparator on the first nibble and use that to feed the carry input of an adder on the second nibble and to subtract 9 from the first nibble you will have your binary converted to BCD. Using just a comparator, two adders, and a quad AND to gate the -9 to the lower nibble adder or four chips plus your BCD-DEC decoder drivers.

Dan

right, I finally got this working today, by storing 2 4bit numbers in an 8 bit PIPO shift register.

Thanks guys :)

The Xilinx link you're referring to is for an FPGA programmable device. Not discrete logic as IMO is needed for this question.

Very Nice reference though... Tnx, Dave

ico2 said:
right, I finally got this working today, by storing 2 4bit numbers in an 8 bit PIPO shift register.

Thanks guys :)
There is another thing...you could make things a lot easier if you made it a BCD counter instead of a binary one.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back