Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multimeter 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buk

In the circuit I'm trying to reverse engineer I wanted to test change in the (static) resistance seen between ground and the mic input when the button is pressed.

When pressed, it measures as 0.7Ω -- which is the resistance of a ferrit bead inline with the mic input.

When closed, it measures ∞ on diode/bell, 20Ω & 2000Ω settings; but on the 20kΩ setting it measure 1.80 (sometimes 1.79 or 1.81 probably dependant on how good a contact I'm getting).

This confuses me. I should be seeing 1800(ish) when the range is set to 2000Ω?

What does this mean? Is my meter crap, or is there some other explanation?

Some lower end multimeters use different voltages on different resistance ranges. At lower voltages, it may not be enought to pass through a diode junction (hence infinity/open), At other resistance ranges, the voltage may be higher and manages to get over the diode junction and produce some readings.

Reactions: Buk
Some lower end multimeters use different voltages on different resistance ranges.
If this is a digital multimeter that you are using, the meter will be trying to drive a a constant current through the "resistance" which it is trying to measure.
The voltage across the resistance will depend on the current and the value of the resistance.

If you have a different meter, you may get better results using that one.

It could be that the circuit that you are trying to measure is not amenable to measurement by a simple multimeter.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back