Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

incorrect reading on multimeter with capacitor

dksucharda

I am new to electronics. I have an Aneng AN8008 multimeter. I have been using it to test volts and resistance and everything is fine. I am building one of the Elencon FM radio kits to get my feet wet. I am about 2/3 of the way done and am getting ready to solder in some discaps. the multimeter tests in Nanoferrads but a lot of the capacitors I am testing are in Picoferrads; no big deal, just move the decimal. But my concern is the multimeter seems to be giving out very different numbers than what the capacitors are speced at. These capacitors are al discaps. Before testing them I have discharged them. some are even reading Zero. multi meter seems to work on ohms and voltage just not for capacitors. I don't know if the capacitors are bad or the meter. The meter is basically brand new but I realize it isn't a high end meter. Not sure if anyone can help but would appreciate suggestions.

Ceramics have a strong V dependence on their C. So depends on the 8008 mehtod its
using to measure C.

1689545632381.png

I have a couple of 8008, there are mods you can do to imrove measurment settling time

Regards, Dana.

PicoFarads are extremely small. Unplug the leads of your multimeter so that you can measure the capacitance of its input. Mine measures 0.15nF which is 150pF. I cannot cancel that capacitance then it will be an error.
Now plug in the leads and see the added capacitance between them. My measurement has many changing numbers from 330pF to 560pF which is an error when measuring pF capacitors.

Consider selecting/obtaining capacitors that will be used as reference against your own instrument. When in doubt of a reading, probe the ones you are sure about their value. Perhaps some day you will migrate to an instrument that will make you more confident.

Thank you all for your response. I did test some of my "larger" capacitors and it seems meter is better with these. The microfarad capacitors seem to be easier for meter to read. Some information above is above what I able to make sense of but appreciated all the same. It is all exposure and I will learn more over time. Audioguru: I think I understand the general premise of what you are saying and I think this may be at the root of my issue. Thank you. And yes, ZipZapOuch, I should probably trust the labels and build the radio. I think the testing was part of part of the learning but not to the point of paralysis. Still need to finish the project. Thank you all. Back to soldering. What is the worst that can occur.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back