Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLAB 8.0 and PICkit2 incompatability???

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim

MPLAB 8.0 and PICkit2 incompatability??? SOLVED

to save you reading it all, it's a known issue, nothing to do with the code, MPLAB forcess the VPP hi, so the button doesn't work

I dabbled with microcontrollers a while back. then it got warm and i went outside. I forgot everything, and as the long evenings draw back in I am dabbling again........:D

Microchips PICkit 2 comes with a number of lessons, which start with a 'hello world' and progress through to ADC and other functions.

This program strobes four led, with speed controlled by the on board pot and ADC and the direction set by a push button.

Code:
; PICkit 2 Lesson 7 - Reversible LEDs
;
; This shows how to read the A2D converter and display the
; High order parts on the 4 bit LED display.
; The pot on the Low Pin Count Demo board varies the voltage 
; coming in on in A0.
;
; Also the switch is used to reverse the direction of rotation
;
; The A2D is referenced to the same Vdd as the device, which 
; is provided by the USB cable and nominally is 5V.  The A2D
; returns the ratio of the voltage on Pin RA0 to 5V.  The A2D
; has a resolution of 10 bits, with 1023 representing 5V and
; 0 representing 0V.

#include <p16F690.inc>
	__config (_INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT & _WDT_OFF & _PWRTE_OFF & _MCLRE_OFF & _CP_OFF & _BOR_OFF & _IESO_OFF & _FCMEN_OFF)

cblock	0x20
Delay1		; Assign an address to label Delay1
Delay2
Display		; define a variable to hold the diplay
Direction
LookingFor
	endc

org 0
Start
	bsf	STATUS,RP0	; select Register Page 1
	movlw	0xFF
	movwf	TRISA		; Make PortA all input
	clrf	TRISC		; Make PortC all output
	movlw	0x10		; A2D Clock Fosc/8
	movwf	ADCON1
;	bcf	STATUS,RP0	; back to Register Page 0

bcf	STATUS,RP0	; address Register Page 2
	bsf	STATUS,RP1	
	movlw	0xF7		; we want all Port A pins Analog, except RA3
	movwf	ANSEL
	bcf	STATUS,RP0	; address Register Page 0
	bcf	STATUS,RP1

movlw	0x01
	movwf	ADCON0		; configure A2D for Channel 0 (RA0), Left justified, and turn on the A2D module
	movlw	0x08
	movwf	Display
	clrf	Direction
	clrf	LookingFor	; Looking for a 0 on the button
MainLoop
	movf	Display,w	; Copy the display to the LEDs
	movwf	PORTC
	nop			; wait 5uS for A2D amp to settle and capacitor to charge.
	nop			; wait 1uS
	nop			; wait 1uS
	nop			; wait 1uS
	nop			; wait 1uS
	bsf	ADCON0,GO	; start conversion
	btfss	ADCON0,GO	; this bit will change to zero when the conversion is complete
	goto	$-1
	movf	ADRESH,w	; Copy the display to the LEDs
	movwf	Delay2

A2DDelayLoop
	incfsz	Delay1,f	; Waste time.  
	goto	A2DDelayLoop	; The Inner loop takes 3 instructions per loop * 256 loopss = 768 instructions
	incfsz	Delay2,f	; The outer loop takes and additional 3 instructions per lap * 256 loops
	goto	A2DDelayLoop	; (768+3) * 256 = 197376 instructions / 1M instructions per second = 0.197 sec.
				; call it a two-tenths of a second.

movlw	.13		; Delay another 10mS plus whatever was above
	movwf	Delay2
TenmSdelay	
	decfsz	Delay1,f
	goto	TenmSdelay
	decfsz	Delay2,f
	goto	TenmSdelay

btfsc	LookingFor,0
	goto	LookingFor1
LookingFor0
	btfsc	PORTA,3		; is the switch pressed (0)
	goto	Rotate
	bsf	LookingFor,0	; yes  Next we'll be looking for a 1
	movlw	0xFF		; load the W register incase we need it
	xorwf	Direction,f	; yes, flip the direction bit
	goto	Rotate

LookingFor1
	btfsc	PORTA,3		; is the switch pressed (0)
	bcf	LookingFor,0

Rotate
	bcf	STATUS,C	; ensure the carry bit is clear
	btfss	Direction,0
	goto	RotateLeft
RotateRight
	rrf	Display,f
	btfsc	STATUS,C	; Did the bit rotate into the carry?
	bsf	Display,3	; yes, put it into bit 3.

goto	MainLoop
RotateLeft
	rlf	Display,f
	btfsc	Display,4	; did it rotate out of the display
	bsf	Display,0	; yes, put it into bit 0
	goto	MainLoop

end

it complies ok in mplab, and will download to the chip, and runs.

EXCEPT the mplab version looses the push button functionality. nothing happens at all:( lights just strobe in one direction. adc speed change is working

apart from donloading an earlier version of mplab, and comments?

Last edited:
yes, exactly. both compiled from the same asm file

so either the 'looking for' part isn't seeing the button press, or the reversing part isn't working.

I suppose that should be my starting point. cerate a delay of a few seconds and call it from various places in the program to see where it goes, or doesn't

I have tried changing MCLR from hi to low. with the program running, clicking on that changes the direction sometimes, but the button still doesn't.

however I have carried on the experiment. quitting MPLAB, and starting up PICKit 2 sotfware and turning on the kit. so its running the program downloaded by MPLAB, but now being powered by PICkit2

and the MCLR function on the pickit2 software sorts it out. clicking it on and off gives the same fairly random change of direction, but with it off the button works perfectly, and with it on, it doesn't work at all.

so, you were right, it was the MCLR function - for soem reason although it seems to do something in MPLAB when i click it (because it sometimes changes the direction) it obviously doesn't work properly

which sounds like a bug.:(

addendum
RA3 is the MCLR pin, it also happens to be the pin that the reversing switch is using.

when powered by the pickit2 software RA3 is at 5v until i press the button, when it is then pulled low. setting MCLR low, means it can't pull it down, so the button stops functioning.