Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

movement detector to breadboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grossel

Hi. I have an old movement detector from 1996 or so. Now I wonder what wires do what?

First of all, just to prove it works I want to get a led (or similar) to light when it detects movement.

I guess the black one must be ground and the red must be +12V (as rated). There is a blu/white and a red/white pair of wires. What is the difference between those two pairs?

What should I expect the functions of the fires to be? There is no documentation shiped with it, so I guess there must be some standards.

Thanks

Attachments

• moveDetectorWires.jpg
    moveDetectorWires.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Is there a part number or manufacturer code on the device somewhere? Perhaps you could find a datasheet for it.

Is there a part number or manufacturer code on the device somewhere? Perhaps you could find a datasheet for it.
No. There is no code being printed on it. If there was, I would already have searched for it :)

However I know one thing. It is an extension to an already existing home security building set, but it's old and i don't have the catalog any more.

It was ordered from a shop called "Arngren" in norway several years ago. Also, on that time they vas the vendor that sold the home security set (wich I don't have).

And once again, I have NO documentation for it :(

Well, I've run out of ideas. Sorry I couldn't help. I've never used a motion detector before so I wouldn't know what the wires might be for. Maybe someone will be able to suggest a way to test it and work it out.

In the meantime, if there are no markings on the actual device, try looking for datasheets for particular ICs on the board inside? Perhaps you'll be able to find the device by searching for devices with those components, or figure out where the wires are connected, and what the outputs from those components should be.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I'm sure someone will have a better idea though :)

Red, Black and White wired are likely for mains power. If it's from the US, it'll be 120V. The twisted wires are likely the output. BE CAREFUL! They are probably 120V! You are working with dangerous mains power. You can use a network and photo-isolater to get the voltage down to a safe level. But if you do that, take all necessary precuations while working on the wires.

PS, for about $25US, you can pick up a motion detector from Home Depot with wire diagrams and instructions on how to connect it. Still need a method of isolating the output however.

I don't think you ought to wire home security system sensors to the mains because they're low DC voltage. Just wire red and black to 5 V and see if any thing happens, if not, increase to 9 V.... nothing?...... 12 V....., etc..... bang! smoke? Never mind...:D

Most of these ultra sonic motion detectors, at least those sold in the US, are connected directly to mains, and operate flood lighting at mains voltage. I have several on my property to operate various alert systems. I took one apart to see if I can tap into the low-voltage section and connect to a safer level. Although it seemed doable, I decided instead to intall an isolator to bring out the detector signal. Maybe the one in the picture is something different. I like working with the ones sold at the local home improvement store because they are cheap, available and rugged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back