Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mount St. Helens Glacier

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) All the extra heat, creates more water vapor (clouds), not so much rising oceans.

2) The greater cloud cover would indicate cooler ground temperatures,

3)since the heat would be caught in the upper atmosphere.

1) you think you can put the whole ocean into the sky ?

2) really ? are you seriously contemplating spending your life in an atmosphere so humid that it will rain non stop ? you won't be able to cool off without sweating your guts out is that the way you propose to live ?

3) erm again you talk of a bit of vapour storing a lot of energy and all that vapor will reach to the ground - ouch thats hot rain isn't it ? not to mention clouds will help keep the heat trapped ever noticed how thick cloud will reflect back light at night making it not so dark in town ?

However further north in the UK we can now grow peaches, apricots, kiwi fruits and grapes (this year will probably be the exception) which we weren't able to grow 50 years ago.

Winters are shorter and milder, meaning that roads don't need to be gritted as often. This winter just gone was so mild that tender summer bedding plants in my graden such as plagoniums and surfinia petunias in hanging baskets weren't killed off be the frosts and daisies flowered all through winter.

People will say that the cool summer and snow at easter this year and last year's summer floods are down to climate change? The answer is they've got nothing to do with climate change because scientists say that the trend is for summer to get warmer and dryer not cooler and wetter.

People blame everything on climate change, may be it was to blame for the last couple of mild winters but it can't be blamed for this and last year's cool and wet summers.

Last edited:
You need to be careful about "clear and unrefutable evidence". Most of you are probably too young to recall the, Chariot of the Gods book and movie of the '70s. In them, every piece of scientific evidence points, undeniably, to the fact that planet Earth was visited by space beings.

can you can prove in every instance that we were not visited by (or even are) beings from another planet ? I just bought a book about the incas it has a picture of one of their gods.... oh look what a coincidence he looks just like a man with a crash helmet on and the sheild is raised.... but of course thats not proof enough is it ? you want to find it writen down in stone

but lets not go off topic

However further north in the UK we can now grow peaches, apricots, kiwi fruits and grapes (this year will probably be the exception) which we weren't able to grow 50 years ago.

Winters are shorter and milder, meaning that roads don't need to be gritted as often. This winter just gone was so mild that tender summer bedding plants in my graden such as plagoniums and surfinia petunias in hanging baskets weren't killed off be the frosts and daisies flowered all through winter.

People will say what about the cool summer and snow at easter this year and last year's summer floods? The answer is they've got nothing to do with climate change because scientists say that the trend is for summer to get warmer and dryer not cooler and wetter.

People blame everything on climate change, may be it was to blame for the last couple of mild winters but it can't be blamed for this and last year's cool and wet summers.

mild winters are the result of global warming not climate change

climate change is responsable for haphazard weather which involves rain in summer (which does not guarantee it being cooler)

climate change is a result of global warming

enient or as pleasant to deal with, but what would you spend on the disposables?

We've been living like this for hundreds of years, can't expect to change it in 20. The threat of what might happen, to people several generation after we're long dead, isn't going to have much effect, other than raise skeptism over motives. The drastic and immediate changes Al Gore is call for, will probably make things worse.

I think it will be sooner than a few generations 50 years down the line we are likely to see crises both in a planetery sense and a social sense and if society don't are it will make it hardfer to combat

Mother nature is in absolutely no danger of any kind whatsoever and it's our own human arrogance and ignorance that puts us in the place of believing we are the cause of what it is we go through every day. The only thing that needs saving is us, and not in a biblical sense.

your right there we can be swept out of existance and mother nature would just no give a rats ass about it !!

Does contributing to yourself really count? If he's the founder/CEO of the organization, and still controls the money, it's still his money. He just pays less taxes.

Kind of reminds of Hilary Clinton's campaign loans. She spent $12 million of her own money, on her own campaign, lost, and wants the money back. If she can get her $12 million contribution back, does that entitle everyone who gave here money to a refund as well? She spent the money, but will she actually have lost the $12 million at the end of the day?

Do you see what I'm getting at, these people flash the money around, but never really let go. Both Democrats...

in short she is a dick head simple as that and should told to shut up and go home - oh yea but then she probably won't be able to reach the front door because of.......... SNIPER FIRE :D

Okay, ok, back to your idea of shading the poles. Would not these shades have to be some 2Km high, or maybe even higher, and span some great distances? Who could build such a thing, and how would you make it to withstand the forces of mother nature? And who knows what kind of impact this would have on the overall climate. I understand what you are saying, but I just don't think so.:(

it would bge easier to make a large shade that would float in space (and why not be covered in solar panels)

I agree, but burning still releases carbon. As in "carbon footprint"

and say you arew burning wood you are only releasing the carbon that was captured "the other day" not the carbon that was captured millions of years ago when the aerth was hotter, yes lets burn all the oil gas and coal put all the carbon back into the atmosphere and guess what we get ? the weather we used to have millions of years ago and wehat was that ? what we now call global warming ! a wood fire is greener than a cola fire because it is recycled carbon it was taken out of the air yesterday and made into wood burnt today and tomorow will be captured again presumably by new trees replacing the ones chopped down of course it takes longer and there are not enough trees to power humanity

mild winters are the result of global warming not climate change

climate change is responsable for haphazard weather which involves rain in summer (which does not guarantee it being cooler)

climate change is a result of global warming
Climate change is just another name for global warming.

P.S. Use the edit button, rathing than making multiple replies.

Carbon comes in many forms. I think it's only one or two isotopes that might be causing the 'greenhouse effect' attributed to mankind, but since it's almost imposable to just measure these, the eco-guys just lump all carbon emmisions together as bad. Larger, more impressive numbers...

actually we don't dump "carbpon" we dump carbondioxide and carbon monoxide thats what any burning produces we put the carbon in (hence the term carbon footprint) and the air is abundant in oxygen (well may not for much longer !)

I'm very confident that the planet Earth will be pretty much in same shape 50 years from now, as it is today. But then again, Iran has tested their missiles, which I would presume to have been design to carry a nuclear warhead, which would have been build before the missile. Wonder who will be on the receiving end of their first, and most likely only live launch?

Thanks for pointing out my typo. I have large fingers, often hit more than one key, just don't usually get more then one letter though.

Carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide still make up only a fraction of the gases containing carbon molecules in the atmosphere. I still believe Global Warming, and the Greenhouse Effect are mostly the result of number juggling by grant surfing research labs (find it hard to use the term 'scientists' in this context).

Basically we are be told that they 'believe' the Global temperature is rising, maybe 3-4 degrees on the average, over the next couple of hundred years. This is the evidence we gathered (produced based on simulations), that we believe to be convincing enough. And the sales pitch ends with something to do with, if we don't do something everybody dies in about 400 years (I figure on 50-60 more years based on my age). Sounds so similar to J.W. door-to-door Armageddon salesmen. Are you prepared? Join us, what's the harm, you'll be getting eternal life in heaven, the only thing you stand to lose, is your wicked lifestyle. Been hearing it since I was a child, heard it again last year, pretty much the same, just different current events as signs the end is near.

'Naysayer' or 'Doomsayer' to each their own...

Regardless of how it all plays out, I think we'll have plenty of Soylent Green to nibble on for quite a long time. Mmmmmmmmmm...Soylent Green

I'm very confident that the planet Earth will be pretty much in same shape 50 years from now, as it is today.

I'm wondering how much effect solar energy being absorbed in a giant floating pile of plastic twice the size of TEXAS between the North Atlantic and South Pacific creating a swirling mass of Petroleum based Products. Solar radiation helping to break down the thinner bags etc.

Much of it has been reduced in size over the years. Now it is in layers from the surface to the bottom these small particles would be a great absorptive material for heat.

This could act as good heat transfer from warmer to colder water the result would be warmer sea's.

Any thoughts or is it just rubbish. kv:D

Could it be possible greenhouse gases are the only contributor ? If we are to say that.

kv

Sure...why not at least TRY it?

I'm wondering how much effect solar energy being absorbed in a giant floating pile of plastic twice the size of TEXAS between the North Atlantic and South Pacific creating a swirling mass of Petroleum based Products. Solar radiation helping to break down the thinner bags etc.

I think somelthing akin to this should be tried on some scale. An ocean full of light weight floating, reflective "iceburgs" that ships could just bump into and nudge out of the way (unlike the very dangerous real iceburgs).

See, here's the deal. It could be that such a project could promote sea life and give an unexpected bounty of food and other products. Without at least giving it a try what you ahve is ignorance, nay-sayers, nut-fringe adherents and government paranoia. If you try it and it doesn't work...what have you lost? Not much. What have you gained? Invaluable knowledge and that alone makes it worthwhile.

How come "valuable" and "invaluable" mean the same thing? It's sort of like "flammable" and "inflammable" but, less dangerous (I've always been nervous about that one).

I think somelthing akin to this should be tried on some scale. An ocean full of light weight floating, reflective "iceburgs" that ships could just bump into and nudge out of the way (unlike the very dangerous real iceburgs).

See, here's the deal. It could be that such a project could promote sea life and give an unexpected bounty of food and other products. Without at least giving it a try what you ahve is ignorance, nay-sayers, nut-fringe adherents and government paranoia. If you try it and it doesn't work...what have you lost? Not much. What have you gained? Invaluable knowledge and that alone makes it worthwhile.

How come "valuable" and "invaluable" mean the same thing? It's sort of like "flammable" and "inflammable" but, less dangerous (I've always been nervous about that one).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch

No this actually exsists a big ol pile of crap been there for over 50 years and is building 3.7 million tons of it.

I'm saying it is raising the oceans water temp. Resulting in glaciers melting.

kv

Last edited:
No this actually exsists a big ol pile of crap been there for over 50 years and is building 3.7 million tons of it.

I'm saying it is raising the oceans water temp. Resulting in glaciers melting.

I was unaware of the existence of this but, it does raise the question doesn't it, of whether we can inadvertently have a substantial impact on our planet or climate with something like this or not. Certainly, if it actually does have a measurable impact, it should be pretty easy to accentuate the effect one way or the other to our benefit.

I'm reminded that virtually all electronic effects are not so much, "inventions" as methods to accentuate naturally occurring effects (notice I said, "effects" not "devices"...electronic devices are often uniquely designed for a function). The photo-electric and hall effects are good examples but also the quantum effects of lasers and tunneling effects of some semiconductors and capacitive effects have been exploited.

The Ocean your connection and mine.

I was unaware of the existence of this but, it does raise the question doesn't it, of whether we can inadvertently have a substantial impact on our planet or climate with something like this or not. Certainly, if it actually does have a measurable impact, it should be pretty easy to accentuate the effect one way or the other to our benefit.

I'm reminded that virtually all electronic effects are not so much, "inventions" as methods to accentuate naturally occurring effects (notice I said, "effects" not "devices"...electronic devices are often uniquely designed for a function). The photo-electric and hall effects are good examples but also the quantum effects of lasers and tunneling effects of some semiconductors and capacitive effects have been exploited.

I'm not sure if most or even some of the effects would be useful. Lets say from a toxic mix of chemicals that are being leached into the water and then is consumed by wildlife in the Ocean which is a major food source. I would say no.

New Research and Discoveries are lending to the credibility that the Ocean is capable of producing all of the energy the world needs for the future. If that becomes a reality then we would waste a lot more energy trying to clean it to make it possible.

Where is the savings in that concept or do we finally become responsible for our own (sh...). The problem is that it falls on our children once again.

Hopefully it won't be to late.

kv

Last edited:
I'm not sure if most or even some of the effects would be useful. Lets say from a toxic mix of chemicals that are being leached into the water and then is consumed by wildlife in the Ocean which is a major food source I would say no.

New Research and Discoveries are lending to the credibility that the Ocean is capable of producing all of the energy the world needs for the future. If that becomes a reality then we would waste a lot more energy trying to clean it to make it possible.

Where is the savings in that concept or do we finally become responsible for our own (sh...). The problem is that it falls on our children once again.

Hopefully it won't be to late.

kv

as I'm "only" 25 it will fall on me in the future, we humans a nothing to nature and will be swept away with not so much of a caring from nature. the world got on with itself for millions of years until we got here and messed it all up. obviously a huge amount of garbage in the ocean helps nout ! its poisoning a valuble food source and just making our planet a mess

Cosmic Dust in the Wind..........

as I'm "only" 25 it will fall on me in the future, we humans a nothing to nature and will be swept away with not so much of a caring from nature. the world got on with itself for millions of years until we got here and messed it all up. obviously a huge amount of garbage in the ocean helps nout ! its poisoning a valuble food source and just making our planet a mess

Yep, like a flea on a dog just a few shakes and several thousand degrees (Poof) we'll be gone.

Sounds like a Song............. (Dust in the Wind all we are is Dust in the Wind)

kv :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back