Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motorcycle gear indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tero Heikkinen

Hello wizards!
I am building gear position display for my bike. I hijacked this shematic from another site. Need confirmation from you, that is this working solution for that purpose?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20180217_055507.jpg
    IMG_20180217_055507.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 296
Yes, that will work as long as you have a separate ground connection for each gear.

Mike.

Depends on the selector drum in the bike, and if it has contacts.
Some commercial ones calculate the gear position from the wheel speed & engine rpm.

You can also put two magnetic switches on the gear shift level, one to detect an up-shift and one to detect a down-shift which go to an up-down counter and display.
You have to initially synchronize the counter to the gear position, and also any time you happen to shift with the power off.
**broken link removed** is a typical circuit for that and here is a kit you can purchase.

The above could be improved a little using the bikes neutral light to reset the gear to zero or N position.

Here is up-down counter for motorbike gears
UpDown1-6.gif
You can do essentially the same thing with a CD40110 up/down decoder/latch which will work from 12V and doesn't need any programming.

How do you stop at 6?
Good question.
My motorcycle gearshift won't move beyond 6 or below 1, so that would not be a problem for me.

If it is a problem, then you could use some gates to detect either a 1 or 6 from the 7-segment outputs, as needed to suppress the respective count up or count down clock.
The upper number is detected with one 8-input NAND gate to the "6" six active segments, and number 1 is detected with a 3-input NAND gate to the "1" two active segments plus an inverter connected to the middle segment (to ignore numbers 3 and 4).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back