Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Most simple frequency meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Eric. I cant ask you to stay inside if its sunny in England! However, if you are able to put something together at some point it would be a huge help. I cant help but feel I would be saving you a lot of effort by simply modifying the code in the second post. It seems to be pretty much there apart from the databus's and PIC type and its nice and simple.

I just feel a bit guilty is all ;)

Hi Eric. I cant ask you to stay inside if its sunny in England! However, if you are able to put something together at some point it would be a huge help. I cant help but feel I would be saving you a lot of effort by simply modifying the code in the second post. It seems to be pretty much there apart from the databus's and PIC type and its nice and simple.

I just feel a bit guilty is all ;)
hi,
Its going to taking longer to chop down the second option and prove it than it is to link up some assembler modules.
Don't feel guilty, if I didn't want to do it I would say so.;)

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the link. Ive had a look through it, but ive got to be honest it seems quite complicated, especially for a simpleton like myself. Which ever one I go for, be it the one posted originally, or the one you posted, it will need work. I think the simple 16F84 might be easier for me to work with in the future.

Don't use the 16F84, it's long obselete (last century!) - it was replaced by the 16F628 back then, which is cheaper and more useful.

Exactly, so a version of the one you posted with 16F628A would be perfect, get the LCD to 4 DB's and im golden :)

Exactly, so a version of the one you posted with 16F628A would be perfect, get the LCD to 4 DB's and im golden :)

hi,
Look at this asm and image.
Its been tested today up to 2.5mHz, previous at 10mHz.
I have not fully commented the asm yet, but I will add comments shortly.
note: the xtal frequency 3.2768mHz, its a common freq.
Its running in a 16F628A.

Attachments

• FreqMtr1.gif
    FreqMtr1.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 196
  • FreqOnly1c.asm
    7.5 KB · Views: 166
Hi Eric,

Thats fantastic, thank you so much! Ive read through and it seems like its nice lightweight code, although I must be honest I will need a day or so to read through it properly and understand in. Again, I really appreciate you helping me with this. Ill keep you posted on how I get on.

Hi Eric.

Ive been reading through this code for a few days, but I haven't made much progress with it. Would you care to comment a few sections briefly to help me on my way?

Hi Eric.

Ive been reading through this code for a few days, but I haven't made much progress with it. Would you care to comment a few sections briefly to help me on my way?

OK,
Repost later.

EDIT:
Look thru this asm, if you have any queries, please ask specific questions, as if I have to comment and explain every aspect of a program it would a long time.:)

Attachments

• SpadeComm1.asm
    9.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
You have much time invested with Erick so stick with that design. But if you look at the super probe's source code I expect you will find that the section dealing with the freq counter is rather small.

At any rate it is a good example of how to do many things with a simple design.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just re-assembled the FreqOnly1c.asm, the hex file is attached, its for a 16F628A

Last edited:
freq counter

hi,eric.i have a 16*2 lcd.
i used your hex code.what lcd display is:
Freq cou(8chr)
0000458(8chr)
i want the lcd to display:
Freq=(8 chr)
54200 hz (8 chr)
i want the freq to be from left to right not right to left.
can you please change the asm code and send me the hex for pic16f628a.
i really need it for tommow.please help me.i will be in your debt.thx.

hi,eric.i have a 16*2 lcd.
i used your hex code.what lcd display is:
Freq cou(8chr)
0000458(8chr)
i want the lcd to display:
Freq=(8 chr)
54200 hz (8 chr)
i want the freq to be from left to right not right to left.
can you please change the asm code and send me the hex for pic16f628a.
i really need it for tommow.please help me.i will be in your debt.thx.

PLEASE DO NOT PM me with the same text as your post.

Your example of 0000458 is 458Hz, the zero's are leading zero's, so the display is already left to right

E.

EDIT:
This image is what I see with a test input, please post an image of your LCD display

Last edited:
I have just programmed a 16F628A PIC with that FreqOnly1c.hex, it works as expected, you must have a problem at your end.

Do not PM me any more regarding this Thread.

E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back