Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET Vgs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark

Hello;
I post a schematic here My question is how to bias mosfet Vgs for such configuration . I need to shut the Line for anything in between 25 to 200 VDC . I know Vgs cant take more than 15V?

Thank you

Attachments

• MOS-N-bias.PNG
    MOS-N-bias.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 566
well the simplest way is 2 resistors and a zener, but that tends to be slow. What are you trying to do? You do not need 2 FETs for DC.

Dan

well the simplest way is 2 resistors and a zener, but that tends to be slow. What are you trying to do? You do not need 2 FETs for DC.

Dan

I am trying to avoid over voltage condition , by shutting off the supply in case it appears from the output or the right hand side of the schematic , anything entering from 24V to 200V is a threat and the MOS is required to put off the line untill the overvoltage condition is gone.

Thanks

use your transistor to interrupt a 1mA current sink ( base to 5V, emitter to 5K, 5K to your collector)

current sink collector to 10K and 15V zener across PFET gate source

use your transistor to interrupt a 1mA current sink ( base to 5V, emitter to 5K, 5K to your collector)

current sink collector to 10K and 15V zener across PFET gate source

I didnt get you ? a 15V zener will not handel 200V DC in case its the over voltage condition . I try to turn on the transistor when there is enough current at 25V Dc to produce a Vbe of .6V .

Last edited:
I didnt get you ? a 15V zener will not handel 200V DC in case its the over voltage condition . I try to turn on the transistor when there is enough current at 25V Dc to produce a Vbe of .6V .
Sorry ... that is the job of the current source and I forgot tell you to put a 24V zener to your transistor base for the actual voltage sense

Sorry ... that is the job of the current source and I forgot tell you to put a 24V zener to your transistor base for the actual voltage sense

Is this that you want me to do? to bias the MOSFETS? . I want to know when the voltage is 200V will it not destroy the 15V zenner tied between Gate and source, till the BJT comes into action.
When the Vlolts are below 24 say 20V MOS are required to ne ON as automatically the BJT is OFF , but it doesnt seems to conducting?

Attachments

• MOS-N-bias.PNG
    MOS-N-bias.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
ok...i think u should have a gate drive circuit to drive the gate of each mosfet. Gate drive can be opto-coupler and transistors joining together. Adding zener diode and resistor for overvoltage protection or adding clamping diode and resistor for faster switching turn on and off time.

ok...i think u should have a gate drive circuit to drive the gate of each mosfet. Gate drive can be opto-coupler and transistors joining together. Adding zener diode and resistor for overvoltage protection or adding clamping diode and resistor for faster switching turn on and off time.
Gate drive would require gate power and is only needed for high speed circuits. This is simple and there was no indication that it needed great response time, just an overvoltage switch.

no, like this

Ubergeek , thanks for the explanation . Actually I thought I have provided some less information actually I attach the schematic where My remote SMPS is getting Overvolted as shown. Please advise if to use N-MOS opr P-MOS ? . How the transistor BJT should be biased in such a situation and from where . The combination is confusing me if I use a crowbar is it feasable to protect the supply? . I add your basic circuit to the scheme please advise the turn on time if you can guess actually I havnt used MOSFET for such .

Thanks for your time

-Adi

Attachments

• MOS-N-N-2.GIF
    MOS-N-N-2.GIF
    8 KB · Views: 235
  • MOS-N-N-3.GIF
    MOS-N-N-3.GIF
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,120
Last edited:
Now I am confused. I was thinking you meant that the supply to the SMPS was going high and you needed to disconnect it.

Crowbars are pretty easy, the simplest being a zener firing an SCR to blow the fuse.

Dan

Now I am confused. I was thinking you meant that the supply to the SMPS was going high and you needed to disconnect it.

Crowbars are pretty easy, the simplest being a zener firing an SCR to blow the fuse.

Dan
mos-n-n-3-gif.24628

Apologies for the confusion actually I am confused too , Please have alook at the second attached image which I have added a little later above. It is to be noted that the Output is getting overvolted and not the input.

-Adi

you are applying 200 to the output of a 12V switcher?

Not Me but its often happening as an accidental application at the remote sensor(25feet away) because of wiring mistake! when ever it happens. The sensor gets its supply from the mainboard. Now the Sensor is saved because of Crowbar but the supply blows off, any trick to save the supply.

-Adi

Not Me but its often happening as an accidental application at the remote sensor(25feet away) because of wiring mistake! when ever it happens. The sensor gets its supply from the mainboard. Now the Sensor is saved because of Crowbar but the supply blows off, any trick to save the supply.

-Adi
Well that makes more sense. What is the current requirement? If it does not need much all you need is a series resistor.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back