Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mood Iron?!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I recently purchased a new Philmore 40W soldering iron and decided to fire it up to do some circuit work. Throughout the procedure, I couldn't help but notice that one metallic ring on the iron began to change color over the period of about 20 minutes. It started out metallic silver, then shifted to a rusty brown, to blood red, to navy blue. Yeah, blue.

What the heck happened here?!!? I'm guessing this is part of the iron's design, but what is it used for? Does the ring use some form of oxidation?

I think what happened here is that the metal expanded due to the heat and as a result the metal now reflects the color spectrum blue. The only way to get it off is to grind or sand it off.

In other words it has tarnished...

The colour is an indication of temperature. A natural phenomina which is used to good effect when hardening and tempering steel by hand.

pebe said:
The colour is an indication of temperature. A natural phenomina which is used to good effect when hardening and tempering steel by hand.

So it's a feature! :D

If thats a steel ring, it indicated the temperature as follows:
brown, good for soldering if you're quick,
red, good for showing how to make dry joints,
blue, cigarette lighter.
Buy something with decent temperature control.

So that's what it means. I was afraid I had the bipolar disorder.

:D :eek: :) :? :x :evil: :twisted:

Weird enough I keep my soldering iron in the brown stage. I have a Weller station and the tip itself reflects operating temp similar to the scale mentioned.

The ring on my iron continued to stay light blue after I resumed soldering yesterday. So far it's the exact same shade and everything.

DigiTan said:
The ring on my iron continued to stay light blue after I resumed soldering yesterday. So far it's the exact same shade and everything.
Get rid of the colour with a bit of wire-wool, then the sequence will repeat next time you use the iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back