Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Monitor with RCA jacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGCB

I was given by a friend a Comidore monitor that has only 5 RCA jacks.
Audio1 & 2
Video
Luma
Chroma
Is there any kind of adapter or cable that can be used to hook this to a computer? Aaron

Hello,

Wow that's interesting. I would have known what to tell you if it only had "Video" but i see it requires separate inputs for the other video components. Someone might make one, but it must be quite different than the run of the mill composite converter sold just about everywhere.

Hi,

Good call there Nigel. I had a video card in a PC a long time ago that had an S video output that i used to hook up to the TV set just for kicks. I had forgotten all about that card and the output format.

OP:
Luckily, this format is easy to convert to composite, and there are a lot of composite to VGA converters out there.
So the conversion would go from S video to composite, and composite to VGA, unless you can find one that goes directly from S to VGA.

Ok So I'm trying to understand what you guys have said.
I'm not interested in the audio.
Can I just hack a cable or do I need to convert signal types?
Are the Luma and Chroma inputs nesecary?
Aaron

Hey wait a minute...one of those outputs is video, so i'd try using that alone first. The L and C are for S video.

In an adapter the L and C are mixed to form one signal. I think they use capacitor sometimes like 400pf to C and L direct, and the other end of the cap connects to L. The grounds are common.

The "video" input is for the NTSC composite video signal. And no, the chroma and luma inputs aren't necessary if you're using composite.

A simple RCA cable (like a single, left or right audio cable) would suffice for hooking up a composite signal to the monitor from whatever you're using to drive it.

There's some useful info here.

On that note what are you using to drive it?

Here's a converter that might suit you (if a bit pricey).

Last edited:
The "video" input is for the NTSC composite video signal. And no, the chroma and luma inputs aren't necessary if you're using composite.

A simple RCA cable (like a single, left or right audio cable) would suffice for hooking up a composite signal to the monitor from whatever you're using to drive it.

There's some useful info here.

On that note what are you using to drive it?

he said a computer

to the OP, Aaron ... why on earh would you want to go backwards from hi quality VGA type signal to low quality composite video ??
a little bit of a waste of resources :)

you would be better to use it off a normal composite source like a DVD player or VCR etc

Dave

why on earh would you want to go backwards from hi quality VGA type signal to low quality composite video ??
a little bit of a waste of resources

you would be better to use it off a normal composite source like a DVD player or VCR etc

Dave
1. I have a complete second computer set minus the monitor that I would like to set up for experimenting with PIC to PC programing. 2. The monitor is not being used for anything and I have no other use for it. 3. The frugality in me says "why not if it works and is cheap ".

Thanks. Aaron

The chroma/luma method gives video without color fringing on details.
I had a few of these from my C-64 and Amiga 4000/video toaster days.

Resolution sucks compared to modern flatscreens though. Could barely read 80 column text on those old screens.

I may find out that although it works, it's value is limited. In that case I'll be looking for another monitor. Aaron

Edit: Even then, I've still learned SOMETHING!

Dave
1. I have a complete second computer set minus the monitor that I would like to set up for experimenting with PIC to PC programing. 2. The monitor is not being used for anything and I have no other use for it. 3. The frugality in me says "why not if it works and is cheap ".

You really won't want to use a TV monitor on a PC, it would make PIC programming many times harder than it needs to be.

Just get a proper PC CRT monitor - people are throwing them out all the time as they move to LCD's - no need to spend anything on one.

I've probably binned half a dozen so far this year!.

Hey Aaron. I think this is what you want. Good price too ;)

EDIT: You'll probably need a male-to-male coupler/cable to go with it, but that shouldn't cost much either. It will be much better than trying to hack the cable itself, which may not even work.

Last edited:
Hey Aaron. I think this is what you want. Good price too ;)

EDIT: You'll probably need a male-to-male coupler/cable to go with it, but that shouldn't cost much either. It will be much better than trying to hack the cable itself, which may not even work.

BE CAREFUL - that will ONLY work with a video card that provides TV signals out on the VGA socket - which will be few and far between.

BE CAREFUL - that will ONLY work with a video card that provides TV signals out on the VGA socket - which will be few and far between.

The OP was asking for VGA to S-Video, which is exactly what that is. I'm assuming he did the research beforehand to make sure it's correct.

The OP was asking for VGA to S-Video, which is exactly what that is. I'm assuming he did the research beforehand to make sure it's correct.

No - he was wanting a VGA to S-Video converter, though he doesn't really seem to understand what he's trying to do :D

Assuming he really wanted to use that monitor (useless as it would be) his easiest option would be to use a video card with AV out, there are plenty of them about - in fact I've got a few of them knocking about here, but it's the wrong country.

No - he was wanting a VGA to S-Video converter

Isn't that what I said? :D

But I agree, I'm not convinced the OP is sure of what he's trying to do. If he does, it would help to explain it a little better. I am assuming he's looking to connect his computer tower to his monitor through the S-Video input, and that his video card has VGA out. That would require a VGA to S-video adapter, which is what I posted the link for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back